Internal phone antenna vs. Retractable antenna

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SugarCoatedSour, Sep 28, 2004.

1. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I was going to be getting a new phone along with a new FamilyTime Basic plan with T-Mobile, and I was curious as to the reception differences between internal antennae and retractable antennae.

I read on one site that there's no significant difference between the two types, but I was wondering if anyone here could support this, or if there actually is a noticable difference.

I'm probably going to be going with the Nokia 6010, by the way. Any better recommendations for phones that are just as small would be nice, too. Many thanks in advance.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah theres really no difference at all. thats about all the phones manufactuers put out now is internal antenna.

i'd suggest the nokia 3120 if you are looking for a nice, inexpensive phone

3. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

I prefer internal as i can't be arsed with external ones and them getting caught in my pockets and stuff :eek3:

4. deadshot13

deadshot13 New Member

No difference. The only reason that they still make retractable antennaes are for perception that since its further away from you head, you're less likely to get brain cancer.

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

One of the Customer Care guys I talked to about reception problems at my house suggested that I try a phone with an external antenna.

On the other hand, the sales person at the AT&T store seemed surprised that they told me that and suggested instead that I would be better off going with any of the Nokia phones if reception was the highest priority for me, though she did concede that the Motorola V505 (external antenna) was good in that department.

Turns out my phone was just going bad. The phone I replaced mine with is just a newer version of the old one (both internal antennas). I now have no problems.