interesting question v. dual nics

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maxxpower, Nov 8, 2007.

1. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Ok, as some of u may know, im new to macs and a 20 year vet of the pc world.
    Question that always plagued me in windowsxp, but worked in linux.

Is there a way to use multiple nics on a macbookpro?
    Could I use a usb to ethernet adapter and bind my port 80 traffic to that interface and all other (10. ip requests) to the built in ethernet?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

incoming web? its easy to bind apache to an interface through the httpd.conf

browsing web? not sure, how do you do it on linux? most of the tools are there, eg route.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

I'm technically running 5 nics on my macpro.
    3 ethernet (1 goes to corporate server, 1 goes to a local server, 1 goes to a controller) and 2 fibers.

4. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

This is probably a stupid question, but I've searched for the answer and haven't found much -- can you do adapter teaming? For load balancing/failover purposes...

This is for an Xserve.

5. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

maybe a better explanation...

Plan is to use the mbp at the office using an internal network for file/local email access and an external IP for internet traffic.

Anytime I open a browser or make an http request, I want it to use the built in ethernet card. Anytime I make a local IP range request (10.* or 192.* ) I want it to use an external ethernet card on the usb port.

Anyone do this yet?

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Easy, there are two ways:
    If your network is only one subnet, configure the lan IP on one adapter (or two IPs) don't configure a default gateway (called router in network). Set up your other adapter with a default gateway.

If your network is larger and you need to access more than one subnet (through a router), you will need to use the route command from the prompt. set up the routes for all local network subnets out one interface, default route out the other.