Interesting question about the BULKING/CUTTING/MAINTAINING debate on my mind.....

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Patrick Bateman, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

A lot of people on here, and in general on the internet have this pre-conceived notion before theyve ever even TRAINED legitimately that you can ONLY gain if youre at a ridiculous caloric SURPLUS or shred down when youre swallowing a pill and a can of tuna a day.

I've been that guy with that notion, while I beleive it to some extent, ive learned to be realistic about it and take from it what I want/need to take, on the OTHERHAND........When you step out into the real world and off the internet you start meeting people in the fitness world who are probably 5x the size/muscle maturity that anyone you will ever speak to on the internet that is shouting ZOMG NEEDZ 2 BULKKKK WHOPPARS FOR 7 MONTHS STRAIGHT!@!!11one, and these said guys have just been training religiously and rigorously for YEARS and dont even know what the fuck BULKING means, its not even part of their vocabulary. They do everything by the book, year round, year in, year out, 1.5-2g protein/1lbs bw, healthy/wholesome carbs, veggies, fruits, healthy fats. Basically you get my drift. I guess the point of this thread is to discuss that, as personally I've been doing the latter for quite some time now, meaning I dont have blimp-face, I dont feel like a bloated pig for 6 months or what not, and Ive been making great gains with plentiful foods and what I need, when I need it.

Here is a perfect example of one of my best friends who would ask you what "bulking is" (im exxagerating, he knows, he would just laugh) when you asked him that question "Do you bulk bro?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

My friend who helped me get started has the same mentality and I agree.

What's up with the pix... are they for real?

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

If you don't have a giant gut spilling out of your cut-off sweatpants, you're not eating enough.

</F&N>

4. Patrick Bateman

:dunno: my friend is from miami, so he parties a lot down there, i think those pics were from winter music conference..........i know a lot of you guys are anti-designer glasses and going out to clubs, but yes, they are for real. sorry if theyre offensive in any way, shape or form, no homo, just wanted to throw in a pic or two of his physique. hes about 6'1 207 @7% year round

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

PS those pics are bromosexual

6. Patrick Bateman

:dunno: ok.

7. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Nah... I like designer stuff sometimes... it just looked like you grabbed them randomly from the net... no biggie.

8. Patrick Bateman

:werd: :rofl: kind of what im getting at with this thread, figured it could stem some interesting discussion. i never have seen timberwolf overfed either, and look at him.

9. Patrick Bateman

You probably never seen my myspace either then. :rofl: sorry, its the only pics i found quickly on my friends page.

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Gaining weight way too quickly and getting fat was a huge mistake I made. If I was going to do it over again I would gain much slower.

11. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

What's impressive with timber is that even at that low body fat, he's still getting fuller and bigger. :bowdown:

12. Patrick Bateman

me and the same guys from vegas...beginning of last summer so i was still in a caloric surplus. [​IMG]

13. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

:rofl:
    Welcome to Daves world Evo....

14. Patrick Bateman

been there done that as well...

15. Patrick Bateman

he doesnt know how i roll :mamoru: :bateman:

16. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

I read an article about this kind of thing a while ago, I'll try to find it and post it.

17. Patrick Bateman

me too, actually, i was trying to find it as well, i beleive it was on t-nation about how mens fitness/cover magazine models who are still YOLKED play with that fine line, if they need to dry out for a shoot, give them 3 days and they do, but still grow with everything they need regardless.

18. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

19. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

i agree with you to a point, but on the other hand...your friend looks good because he's lean, but he's not particularly big. How long has he been training for? What did he look like last year, and the year before, and the year before that? I'm going to guess pretty much the same. It really depends on your goals. Most people are going to get to point where just eating a healthy, natural amount is simply not going to lead to any further progress, so if you want to grow beyond that point then you just have to suck it up and accept some amount of fat gain and deal with a period of time where you're not going to look your best/leanest as a tradeoff for continuing to make mass gains. All within moderation of course, nobodys saying you have to look like your boy on the right in pic 1 to make gains :rofl:

20. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

There was a post by someone that said it pretty well. I'm not the best with putting things in words but here i go. You can always build muscle, its just easier in a calorie surplus. With an abundance of calories you don't short change yourself and slow your progress.

21. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

22. Patrick Bateman

not my boy on the right :rofl: chubby bastard........but good post, you make a valid point, hes been training for YEARS.....7-8 years i'd say and has not made TREMENDOUS amounts of gains, but he has not touched a single hormone or steroid in his life :dunno:

23. Patrick Bateman

Perfect fucking article, i just skimmed it, never read that one yet, at work right now will read thoroughly later, but the conclusion is perfect:

24. Drewski

Drewski New Member

i agree whole heartedly with this thread.

while I haven't done the huge calorie excess bulk (i gain weight easy and was a fatty most of my life); at one point or another I've done the taking things to the extreme dieting and trackign every bit of minutia while dieting and trying to put weight on.

Over the last year, I've tried to concentrate less on that shit and just listen to my body, eat healthy and clean in the general area of where my calories need to be and have seen some of my best gains (losses actually, excluding the massive fat drop at the start) since I started down this road

25. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

so weird... FN 06-07's motto was "eat anything and everything you skinny fucks... even a sneakers bar, mcdonalds burger... etc..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.