COMIC interesting comment re: american vs. japanese animation

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by smell my finger, Feb 7, 2004.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

in american movies (animated) all the voice work is done first (like for finding nemo, skrek, ect) where as in japan the voice work is done after the animation.

because of this difference you'll notice that the amican charcters seems to be more life-like and responsive and involved with the diolouge. even when you compare something like spirited away to finding nemo, you'll notice how much better the actions and animations and expressinos of the characters fit the diolauge withe the american films.

the american animators get to listen to how the actors interpreted the lines, they listen to each line over and over, till they can craft the expressions and movements around the lines ... this makes for a more seemless experience.

^ that was me paraphrasing some comments i heard by a group of animators and animation film critics when i was listneing to npr. i had never really thought about it, but i think they're correct. while it adds a kind of surreal quality to the film, there always seems to be a slight disjoint between the japanese charcters and their lines. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  2. kusanagiz

kusanagiz New Member

Yea I've wondered about if they're recorded first then animated or vice versa. I'm just amazed at how the animated characters respond accordingly thru their facial expression and actions to the voice. It makes for a more realistic experience. Plus you can actually shape the lips to move in sync w/ the words. In aime it's just mouths opening and closing in a pattern and it almost never syncs w/ the actual voices. I wonder why the japanese don't do it the way american animators do it. :dunno:

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Another thing to think about is how the Asian voice actors will try and make a voice that matches the look and feel that an animator has created for a character. But American animators make the character revolve around the person that does the voice acting. Don't ask me how this relates to some of the female voices though, man :dunno:

4. tom3

tom3 ...

this seems to be a valid point, but i don't think it really holds much substance because the american films that are mentioned are complete CG (if these are the only type of movies they were referring to). if they were comparing to the disney animated movies (without pixar) like lion king or something, then it'd be a more fair comparison. and i didn't exactly notice anything life-like about simba's speech.

pixar films take around 5 years to animate... that's a long freakin time, and since noone else does it in the states, it's definitely worth it in our market because they make tons of money. i'm sure the japanese don't spend nearly as long on one movie since there is a lot of competition from other studios.

these are just my thoughts. unless i'm totally wrong with my intial assumption heh.

5. kusanagiz

kusanagiz New Member

in the other animated disney flicks using humans, the lips were synched to the voices as well. (Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast, etc). But what about recording the voices and having the animators make the expressions based on that as opposed to having voice actors work w/ the expressions/lip movement dictated by the artists. Seems like it would work better conforming to the talent rather than the other way around.

6. Taker

Taker 找死吗?

disney and stuff are also more lifelike because most japanese animation uses 12 frames per seconds vs. 24..or something like that.....less frames

7. The Dave

The Dave Biodegradeable Member

Japanese Anime usually dosen't center around the dialogue.

8. Akira714

Akira714 New Member

The budget in a typical Japanese animation is a fraction of an American one. So, of course they have more money to spend on more frames and work.