GUN interesting ballistic performance chart

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jago, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yes, but it doesn't match up with what level it takes to prevent blunt trauma from killing you. see, the level doesn't just correspond to what it will stop. it means it'll stop it, AND the blunt trauma the round would cause. i've heard rumors that IIA will STOP .44 magnum, but if it does, you'll just be so pulped inside, it won't matter. and notice that 9mm is in that thing like 50 ballzillion times? because it has such varying velocities that depending on the speed, even the lowest level might stop it.

3. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

What kind of 9mm are they showing in the level 3 catagory? AP I'd presume.

4. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

it just says they're full metal jacket :dunno:

5. footratfunkface

it's not a jacket issue, it's a speed issue. +P and +P+ especially. FMJ or JHP will do about the same. basically, in order to handle the good defense 9mm, you need IIIA.

there is no 9mm AP that i'm aware of. it doesn't go fast enough or have enough mass to penetrate hardened steel, and probably not even mild steel. and to be able to do that you'd generally need some sort of steel or tungsten or some other dense metal penetrator.

6. footratfunkface

7. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

I'm not really sure about the effects of blunt trauma, I saw a video on the history channel about body armor called "bullet proof". In that show they showed footage where Richard Davis (second chance founder) did a demonstration for the a police dept to sell his vests. In the demo he shot him self with a .44 caliber revolver in the chest (wearing only the vest) and then immediatley shot 3 bowling pins off a table. The point of the demonstration was to show that even after taking a point blank shot, the wearer could still be combat effective. When he removed the vest an area of the chest was reddened by the blow but it did not look that bad. This type of demonstration gave second chance a reputation for "standing behind" their products.

8. footratfunkface

yes. in order to reproduce that, you'd have to be incredibly stupid, and have the proper threat level. i'd be confident in my interceptor's ability to stop it, but not confident in a way that would make me shoot myself. ever. i could be wearing two IIIA vests over me, and still not want to shoot myself. just not something i want to experience.

9. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

:rofl: I know what you mean.

10. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

All the references that I've seen has said that was a .38 revolver.
    Still not something I'd want to be whot with, but no .44 either ;)

11. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

I am almost positive that in the show they said it was a .44, but I could be mistaken:dunno: The point was that you could be shot and still be immediatly combat effective

12. footratfunkface

it was a .38