Interested in upgrading just MOBO/processor now if possible....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zulu, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Zulu

Zulu New Member

If I get a new motherboard and Core 2 duo processor, what parts from my current computer would work with it until I can get more money for more modern replacements?

I have these parts in my current computer...

2 x 512MB sticks of Kingston Hyper X RAM (PC-3200 DDR)

AGP Radeon 9700 Pro (I don't care so much if this doesn't work if most motherboards have onboard video for now -- I wont be playing any games)

Antec True 330 power supply (330Watts)

And two IDE hard drives (I only need one of them to work)

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure for instance if maybe the newer motherboards still have IDE cables or whatnot. I know that they'd need them for the CD-ROM drives or whatever so I'm thinking it's a possibility.

If you guys can let me know what would work and what wouldn't I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also if you want, go the extra mile and let me know what a good processor and motherboard combo would be. I'd like to get a good motherboard that would support quad core down the line, and perhaps get like this $135 E4300 Core2Duo that I'm looking at on Newegg. I need it to be cheaper and very very upgradeable down the line so I can buy a cheaper processor now but still upgrade to something crazy down the line (in like a year tops I'd get a quad core for around say $200 or whatever if it's worth the jump in speed).

My not very educated guess is that everything will work except for the ram, but that's just my guess. :)

By the way this computer will be used for Photoshopping and extreme multitasking. (firefox with TONS of tabs open, AIM, possibly utorrent, photoshop, winamp playing FLAC, etc etc :rofl: )

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

The short answer is that yes, your RAM is the most unlikely thing to be compatible. It all depends on WHAT mobo you get.

I some mobos come with DDR2 ram nowadays, and i dont think (but could be wrong) that DDR2 and DDR are compatible. If you re going to be multitasking that much, and end up getting new ram anyways, getting more of it would also be of help. 1GB seems to be the new minimum lately.

PSU would prolly work, tho it may be underpowered going forward.

As far as IDE, just find a mobo that supports it... most do, but some i've seen dont cuz its the 'old' standard now.

I would say the vid card wont work, cuz most newer mobos come with PCI-E, and while there are still AGP out there, it would be horribly silly not to stick with onboard like you said, until you felt the need to upgrade.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you upgrade to a Core2Duo CPU and motherboard, you're going to need a PCI-Express video card, DDR2 RAM, and a 500W power supply (or thereabouts). As for the IDE drives, almost all motherboards still come with IDE sockets because DVD drives still use IDE, but you'll really like switching to SATA-2 if you can afford it along with the other parts you'll need.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It's good timing right now for the parts. Intel is dropping prices on the dual core cpu's at the end of this week.

You want to get one of the 965 chipset motherboards.

If you plan on overclocking the Gigabyte boards are pretty good.

If you don't plan on overclocking, the Intel boards give you a lot of bang for the buck.

5. Create

Create :free at last:

You *can* do a cheapo build, most likely.

Definitely buy a DDR2 MB and new RAM along with the processor.

E4300 has demonstrated solid overclocks. E6400 is the bang/buck today. E6600 is the bottom of the expensive stuff. Prices drop in a few days and I'd recommend a E6600 if you can afford it, E4300 otherwise.

You're going to have to make sure you have enough PSU adapters and of the correct type to run the new setup. Power is going to be a weakpoint. I'd run a stripdown box until you can afford a new PSU. That means processor, 1xIDE, 1xCD, and *onboard video*.

Your upgrade steps would be:
    1. PSU
    2. video
    3. play with OC
    4. step up to 1.5-2G RAM (depending on use)
    5. in time, processor

6. Create

Isn't there a new chip version coming out? I think it was a E6400 with the 4MB L2, but I cannot remember the new designation.

7. Zulu

Zulu New Member

As far as RAM goes I realize it would be low for now, but I plan on buying two of these recent $100~ 2x1GB deals shortly after so I can have 4GB of faster DDR2. It's just that right now I am so broke it's not even funny so I need to get something that's upgradeable in the future for the least amount of money now. How do I find out if a mobo supports DDR1 and IDE and all that? I'm guessing just look on the manufacturers site, I'll check :)

8. Zulu

Zulu New Member

9. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

That is the board I am using and I am very happy with it, although overclocking will not be available.

10. Zulu

Zulu New Member

That's fine cause I will never overclock. :) So this will work with that one Quad core chip which would be a HUGE upgrade over a C2D or what?

11. Hate Crime

Kind of. It will be some time before apps use multiple cores, but it certainly does have lots of power to do anything you throw at it.:bigthumb:

12. Create

You want 240pin DDR2. 184pinDDR will not fit into the new slot.

If you can't afford a C2D/DDR2 setup, meaning all of processor, motherboard, RAM (assuming onboard video and rigged or loaded PSU), don't bother wasting your money.

I could put together something for $300. If you don't have the budget, show patience. A $400 investment will snag the PSU and a C2D E64xx proc. With some tradoffs, we could prob fit a pci-e vid card in as well for under $425'sih.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  13. Create

I've found hacked BIOS for quite a few Intel boards.

14. Zulu

Zulu New Member

I'm more than willing to spend $300-400 right now. I think I HAVE to get a hard drive though becuase I'm going to want to format and do a fresh install of windows so I'm going to have to have a place to store my stuff temporarily anyway.

15. Hate Crime

:eek3: Link to DG965WH plz.:x:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My intel board came out-of-box with mild overclocking abilities

17. Create

Decent budget to work with as we have the spare parts.

I'm going to take 5 minutes to toss together a budget build. It does some things right, but the next person to take a few minutes may find better components for the money or components that fit your situation better. This is a starting point. 5 min :)

MB: Asus P5LD2 R.2.0 - runs up to 6 IDE and 4 SATA devices (your prev concern - no worries, all new MB will run at least two IDE devices, anything decent runs 4), onboard LAN and Audio, pci-e x1 $89.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131048

Processor: Intel E4400 or E4300 Core 2 Duo (unsure of E4400 pricing, E4300 is $113 after 4/22)

RAM: OCZ 2x512MB=1GB DDR2 667 240pin $89.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227117

PSU: Antec Basiq 500W $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004

Video: We need a video card but are out of money ($40 left). You could pick up some junky cheapo card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127273

This will get you by but I did not do the research to compare it to the 9700 Pro card you have (we don't want to downgrade this component, if possible). We can't use the 9700 card because it's AGP and new C2D boards, anything worthwhile for a home desktop, will run pci-e.

I'd advise you buy this component used. Look for a pci-e card, 7600 series, GDDR2, 128-256MB on board. With some luck you could snag one for half price, about $65.

Overall: The build is quality and allows for significant RAM/proc upgrades (2 RAM slots free, MB supports Core 2 Extreme @ 1066 FSB while we're using an 800MHz FSB processor). If you find a deal on a used 7600, your weak link is the HDD.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  18. Create

Additionally, I am confused about the HDD situation. Your first post said you had two. You could backup all your data to the slower one and install the OS on the faster.

If you buy, 400-500GB SATA drives offer the best price:size ratio.

Alternatively, spend $30 on a DVD burner.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3-4 disk SATA RAID ftmfw.

(the following is a re-enactment)

w/o RAID: "Oh shit! My hard drive just died! Oh my god, what am I going to do?!?"

w/ RAID: "Oh look. One of my hard drives just died. [pause while dead drive is replaced] Looks like I've got some more super-strong magnets to add to my collection."

(this program brought to you by deusexaethera)

20. Zulu

Zulu New Member

I have a DVD burner, and Create -- that mobo doesn't have onboard video?

I can't stress enough that I do NOT need a good video card for ANY reason.

21. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Thanks for the help and keep the ideas coming though!

22. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Anyone else?

23. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Plan to have a large wide screen lcd monitor later? Plan to play hd vids? You will need a decent vid that's better than the onboard. You don't need to spend hundreds for a dx10 card, but a $100 card would be a good investment over relying on the onboard card that may share ram with your system.

But it seems like you should just build another pc....

24. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm running an Intel DG965OT micro-atx board, that you would be hard pressed to beat for features. $133 shipped
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121080

It has the Intel GMA X3000 graphics on it, which I happen to be powering my Dell 24" LCD off of, and it's doing a perfectly fine job.
    I have some HD clips I downloaded and they play perfectly.

The board also happens to have firewire, 6x SATA, 8 channel audio,
    S/PDIF, 6 USB 2.0, and of course support for Core 2 Duo.

I'm in the middle of an upgrade to a larger case is why I'm using the onboard graphics. I normally use a 7900GT card, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good the onboard video is. Plus it supports DX10.