WEB Interested in making a fan site, but what are the legal aspects?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alwaysth, Jul 25, 2009.

1. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I'm sure most of you get away with this or run atleast a few, but assuming I'd like to do this professional-wise manor, what are the legal aspects of it. If I wanted to just make an unoffical site, and make a smiple gallery/news feed/song-player whould I be in the clear here. Also they offer tons of free-downloadable CD's, and songs, could I upload and host these are they are free to download? Thank you for the answers, and replies.

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

[email protected]

3. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

just look at popular fan sites and see what they are doing

4. Cojones

Cojones Guest

They'll probably sue you for making a shitty site.

5. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

horrible idea. kys.

6. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

7. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Never said my life was back to normal quite yet, but it's getting there. Maybe I am busy with other things at the moment, or I see no point in continuing the thread when I get no thanks in return but a bunch of people putting down my work, what's the point. If they want to ruin it for other's let them do what they want, I can't stop that and will not fight it on and off.

8. Pepsi1975

same old showsquare looking for reasons to give up, and not man up and prove you are for real, until you do, no one is going to take your ass serious in here and they will continue to shit on your thread

9. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

Wait, so your life isn't on track but you're asking about creating a fan site? Get your priorities straight :hsugh:

10. Pepsi1975

dude he has a girl and a dog :rofl:

11. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Never gave up in the thread, I kept working through ten pages of hate but I don't understand why I should do work for people that are will ask for this, but in return drop by a "fuck you" in my threads a week after it's done. I no longer brag about this or that anymore, but focus on just asking questions and being myself. I am grateful to get one good answer out of my threads and take twenty negative remarks in return. It shouldn't be that way, but then agian, I can try this or that, or be real on here and things won't change. I mean you feel me, throw me suggestions if you have a better thought in mind.-- Also, I don't know what you expect out of me.

12. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Planning early when you have your chance is better than starting late and jumbling things together, like all my work I invest large amounts of time into whatever I'm trying to develop beforehand. Even if it turns out bad or good, trial and error is what makes and defines you to realize what you're doing right or wrong.

13. Pepsi1975

I suggest starting by keeping your word, you said you would never give it up and you are, so why should anyone want to help you out

14. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

15. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Okay you are right, but I never gave up in the thread and kept going. Then left OT for a bit, as this place is not my main focus in life. Also do you seriously expect me to keep doing work in that thread forever?

16. Pepsi1975

I never said that did I, but you ignoring it and acting like it is not there is not helping

17. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I mean what do you want me to do, post in the thread and acknowledge that I can't do work right now?

18. Pepsi1975

do what ever the fuck you want to do, I don't give a fuck, but whatever you do, realize you brought this on yourself, and that your words and actions go so far and if you can't back them and do what you say you are going to do, then don't cry people are not being nice to you or that they are trolling you, or you can't get legit help in here, I was going to give you a second choice, but you reverted back to your old self

19. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

im sure you can get away with it all except for the song player/download links.

20. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I know what I said in the past, and I can't change that and don't plan to. Of course I am diffrent now, but it's too late to just say that or even prove it verbally. The only way things will change is if my posting habits change and I'm not expecting a quick fix overnight, I could make a thread and do hundreds of logos/graphics but in the end that's not what defines my membership status here, it's my posting style, honesty, and integrity. None of which I had in the past, I'm not asking you to give me a chance, but to go with what you believe about me to be true is, if change comes from me, then it's your choice to respect me or not, I cannot force that on you or beg you into it.

21. Yahdude

Yahdude New Member

I try not to flame anyone, and haven't jumped on the bandwagon of flaming you either. But I will say that you've definitely egged this community on a tad.

On that note...Personally I don't think you've developed an eye/mind for what will MAKE MONEY, and being that you are/were on the verge of homelessness I'd venture to say that you don't have time and energy to waste on prospective sites of your own when you can lend you services to paying customers who will give you money for what you actually CAN do.

If that didn't make any sense, I'm saying you have no idea what you're doing when it comes to EARNING with websites (clearly, check your bank account) so why don't you take a step back and offer your services to those that DO. They will pay you, with money, to design things for them.

2nd point, don't try to sell your services here, these people obviously don't think much of you. Go to DP and sitepoint and WF etc, find customers, do work, get paid. Put together a portfolio, find more customers, do more work and get paid more. Once you've got a bankroll and can afford to waste months on a stupid ass blog that you think is going to make you money than go ahead and give it a shot.

3rd point, blogs don't make money. Yes, there are outliers, but 95% of the blogs on the internet are for information purposes...sometimes they gather enough of a following to attract large amounts of people which creates an advertising opportunity...which may make some money...but UNTIL YOU HAVE A SIGNIFICANT SOURCE OF GOOD TRAFFIC YOU WONT MAKE SHIT. Don't build a blog to make money, you don't know how to do it.

Go sell your design services and make some money, learn the business and what does and doesn't work. If you're good at what you do opportunities will arise.

Edit, as I say that...I'm about to start working on a fan site and will need some design work done in a couple weeks. lol?

22. Pepsi1975

and you will not have any of that, because you came in here once and begged for forgiveness and promised to make amends and you are ignoring that and you gave up on it, which you said you will not, so you are not off to the right start

23. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

Who cares just do it anyway. If they want to pull out the legal bullshit then just take it down.

But what Yahdude said.

24. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

I'm a better designer, contact me when the time comes

25. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

I agree with that, admitting to my mistakes is what was needed first-handly. Took some well-needed time off from here to understand that.

Right nothing I have posted on here with is worth making money, I shelter few important things of work and hide all my hard-work concepts and designs essintally showing off nothing but a lame design. I believe I have great work under my belt, but I feel uncomfortable posting it here, anywhere. I will tell you that I have the skill to design and someday the world will see, but for you are right I NEED to focus on website marketing, etc. to really be anywhere sucessful here.

To reply to this, I'm not trying to profit off TWL, at a point I was looking for investors but realized I would'nt trust someone in my shoes with no credit or repped work to show. Regarding the blogs, I don't do those anymore and have finally moved past those without going into details about what my ventures are now. However, right now I'm working at a graphic design firm, and doing sucessfull, just took the right amount of negatives in my life to bring together positive changes and hope. I haven't graduated college yet for my degree, but am already working on my portfollio, work-history, etc. so I'm pushing for something here. I'm vey proud of my portfollio, it was one of the ways I landed the job, I'm always motivated through the bad and good, and won't stop chasing my dreams. I understand many people may think, you are doing this wrong or that wrong, but you have to fail once in awhile to move on to something better.

Also thanks for the advice, all taken and understood, I appricate your time to type that up to better myself with your thoughts. But design is what I do best, I try to stay away from the marketing, etc and focus more on what I can do to design something that changes the way people see the web for what it is.