MIL Interested in Army Reserves..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by habitat, Jun 8, 2007.

1. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

Reserves seems to be just what I am looking for, but i'm coming to you guys for some straight info before I head to the recruiter.

I've been working full time but have 3 years of college completed. I've been out of school for 2 years now, however I just re-applied to finish my final year and earn my degree in criminal justice. To give myself the upper hand in applying for local police jobs i'm really interested in joining the Army reserves to get the military training on top of my college degree.

I guess my main question is, in the reserves do you still have a lot of say in which MOS you're given? I ask because I really have my heart set on Military Police. I think the schooling and training would be great experience for a future police officer, also giving me a hand above the guys coming fresh out of college.

Second, I spoke briefly with an online recruiter, who mentioned with my college credits (90+) in the reserves I could apply for OCS. However from what i've heard as an officer you don't have much say in what your MOS is, you're placed into where the military needs you. Does this apply for reserve officers as well? Would I be stupid to pass up becoming an officer so I could gaurantee a job with the military police?

Cliffs: College senior looking to join reserves. Very interested in MP, any tips?

Thanks in advance :bigthumb:

2. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

Before anyone says anything, I'd have no problem deploying. Both my grandfathers were officers in WWII, one recieving a purple heart. My high school best friend is on his third tour of Iraq, and my cousin just graduated from west point 2 weeks ago and i'm sure he'll be headed over this year. I'd be honored to fight for them and for my country in a heartbeat

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Caveat: I know nothing about becoming an officer.

You can get a guaranteed job as an MP in the Reserves if you enlist. I have known some guys that have enlisted and then have gone the officer route. I'm sure some of the cadets or former cadets here can shed more light on issues associated with officers and officer wannabes.

Congratulations on your decision to join the military!

4. murdok311

murdok311 New Member

When you go officer you pick the corps you would like to be assigned to but its like everything in the military if you want rank you will eventually switch

http://www.branchorientation.com/

there is a military police corps, but in reality any miltary service is good because all soldiers SHOULD learn discipline and how to shoot a weapon etc, which directly applies to law enforcement

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I would recommend you talk to a guard recruiter. the officer promotions are just as good and the benefits are better because you get federal and state benefits. The only good thing about reserves is that your commission is federally awarded and you can change to active duty easier.

However I believe that sometimes the guard commission is federally awarded also. I'm just enlisted so Im not the best source for occcifer talk

6. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

i always heard that big police depts tend to shy away from MP's because of the bigger gap in protocols. they prefer to hirer other MOS's to fill LEO positions? :dunno:

7. burton564

burton564 New Member

civilian police tend to like infantry best as far as i can tell. They don't like MP's because its harder to get people out of military police habits that aren't necessarily allowed in civilian life. Besides that point no one likes MPs.

8. shiba

shiba Active Member

You have to go guard to get MP.

9. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

Thanks for the info and links. I guess it depends on the department, i've heard the nobody wants an MP thing before but most of the local and state police around here have no preference. I know my countys sheriffs department has veterans preference but I don't know if they shy away from certain MOS's. Actually the person I spoke to about the sheriffs dept was ex Army MP. The main thing most departments i've spoken to are looking for is a college degree. I'll be sure to update as I find out more information.

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I promise your state's National Guard has better incentives than the reserves.

11. xevresII

xevresII New Member

im in teh reserves and im applying for Davis police dept in N. CAli. in feb. i talked to the lady there, said mil.itary experience is a big step ahead of other apps. so good luck to you my friend. and congrats on deciding.