GUN Interested in an AR15 or similar

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GiRaff3, Jan 14, 2009.

1. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I am a Soldier and have been firing the M16 for a few years. I am finally interested in buying something similar to have for various reasons. I feel comfortable firing and maintaining it.

I did some google searching, but I was not satisfied with my results, so I was hoping some OTers could set me straight.

I live in PA, what kind of steps do I need to take to legally own an AR15 or similar?

I am interested in a smaller version, similar to the M4. Of course, I would like to spend as little money as possible, but I want to make sure the weapon I end up purchasing isn't a complete piece of shit. Where should I look, what do you guys recommend?

I am a noob when it comes to the civilian world and guns. I have had a couple of military M16s over the last few years, but they spent the majority of their time in the arms room until I had a reason to use it.

Thanks in advance!

2. I'm not knowledgeable about specific PA laws, I'm sure someone else will cover that. As far as your choices go with weapons, they'll make your head spin. If you want something similar to an M4, that's pretty easy. There are countless companies out there that make M4 copies (semi-auto only of course.) If you're looking for a decent gun for plinking, then pretty much any of the ARs in the $800 range would be ok. If you want something a little more robust, you're looking in the $1000+ range. You can either buy something pre-built by a manufacturer, or you can piece something together yourself. If you're looking for a specific manufacturer to check out in the $1000 range, look for LMT, CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS, S&W, Stag, or RRA. You can get a quality rifle from any of these manufacturers, and I'm sure people will chime in with their personal preferences. Maybe someone will even post "the chart."

There is so much material to cover here that it's really impossible to just go over all of it off the top of one's head. Take a look at some rifles and ask some more specific questions, and you'll get a lot of good answers here.

3. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I do not discriminate against used weapons. Is there a big market out there for buying/selling used?

4. There is a huge market for used. Unfortunately, since the election, you'll pay a "fear premium" on anything, especially used stuff. You can check out local gun shows, but don't expect to find great deals. There are other site on the internet that you can browse like gunbroker.com and the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com but prices there are getting pretty silly too.

5. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

so, worst time ever to want to purchase a weapon?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PA you don't need to do anything for long guns, no permits or registration required. If you buy local walk in the shop fill out the 4473 wait 5-10 minutes, walk out with it.

Hit up some local shops and see how their prices are, can't help you much with online places, many have upto a 6 month backlog since the elections.

7. Pretty much. There was someone here recently that was able to get all the parts they needed by scouring the internets and finding things at various places. It's possible to find complete rifles at lots of gun shops around here, and the prices aren't terrible, but if you want any sort of custom build, good luck.

8. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I am not looking for anything terribly fancy. Something basic that works is good for me, and later if I want to add some stuff, I will just buy and install it!

9. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I appreciate the info. I will talk with a few guys at work and see where they get their shit at. I have overheard them talking about gun shows and such.

10. In that case, I'd say your quickest route to getting one is to look around online to get an idea for what you like, and then see if you can find anything locally at a price that doesn't make you gag.

11. And feel free to ask questions. I don't mean to discourage you with how hard shit is to get right now, but you'll be able to make the best decision if you really define exactly what you want and get all of your questions answered, and then have an idea of what it's worth before you actually make a purchase.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd cruise the EE on ar15.com not been many good deals lately but occasionally something pops up.. If you have the patience ar15sales.com is still selling Stag M4 style uppers with rear BUIS, b/bc/ch for $499, might be a 20 week wait though. Would just need to find yourself a lower then.

13. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Thanks!

14. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Yep :hs: