Interest in Programming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by newfoundfenix89, Jan 21, 2005.

1. newfoundfenix89

newfoundfenix89 The Tone

hey i am really interested in getting into some scripting and programming but i dont know where to start. c? c++? PERL? If learning one of these first helps with learning the others please let me know. And is there any particular sites that teach you some basics?

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

Theres two different types of programming languages, Object Oriented (Java, C, C++, C#, etc.) and scripts (shell scripting, batch files, Perl, etc.)....My professors claimed that if you learn the essentials of object oriented programming you can write code for any object oriented language (you simply need to learn the simple semantics of each language)...im assuming the same holds true for scripting languages as well....

between the two i would say scripting is probably the easiest as it is not as abstract, however object oriented is more typically used for larger apps

i personally think java is the easiest object oriented language to learn, however moving to a different language like C afterward can be difficult as Java has taken alot of the detail away from coding (ie. memory allocation and garbage collection)....so i would recommend C if you can stomach the learning curve, or Java if you just want a quick start. For scripting i cant recommend much as ive maybe written <40 batch and shell scripts and maybe 5 lines in perl heh

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

C is not object-oriented. C++ is.