Intense Headache while lifting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by brapbrap, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brapbrap

brapbrap New Member

The other day i was benching and on my last set i was pushing my last rep hard trying to get it up and all of a sudden the back of my head starting hurting like crazy. It felt like someone hit me in the back of the head with a golf club. I stood up and drank some water and it stayed for a little while but eventually went away. Anyone know whats up with this? Is it ok for me to keep working out?

:noes:

2. NiteKID

NiteKID New Member

i would work out and if it happened again i would stop and goto the doctor or something lol O_O

3. aaaaaa

aaaaaa OT Supporter

pinched a nerve? not breathing correctly?

just some guesses :dunno:

4. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

probably held your breath too much or something

5. kidbv2

kidbv2 New Member

blood pressure shot up too much, most likely

6. this exact thing happened to me about 3 months ago. after some serious stressingout and concern. The pain reaccured for me for about 3 weeks p.s. don't have your girlfriend try to make you orgasm, cause the same thing will happen.

do some research, it is called Weight lifter's cephalgia. i was son concerned i did something very serious. expect to have the same pain when you lift heavy (any lift) for some time.

i fount it helpful to really concentrate on my breathing, drop to much lighter weights and increase reps temporairly. also, stop instantly if you feel any such pain, and take a little walk, grab a drink. also i found if i held my chin against my chest it helped to eliminate the onset of the pain.

i know how bad it hurts, i felt like i was going to pass out many times. pm me if you need more help. it was hard for me to find help.

link to a description... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7103166&dopt=Abstract

or...about 3/4 the way down the page...
    http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/03mar/laskow2.htm

good luck :x:

7. Nouia

Nouia New Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me earlier this summer. I ended up taking ~2 weeks off and starting back just really light again and it was completely gone. And yeah, as the poster above said, it also happened whenever I orgasmed, which sucked.

8. MagicGAT

MagicGAT New Member

Shit I thought I was the only person that had this happen to them!? I went to a doctor and he had no idea what it was.

But anyway mine went away mysteriously in about a week (without and lifting but still played full contact lacrosse)

I remember how bad of a pain it was, thought my head was imploding, lol

9. brapbrap

brapbrap New Member

I took a couple days off and i'm gonna go work out tonight and see how it goes.

Those articles were talking about this happening in older men...i'm only 16.

I'm pretty sure it was just because i held my breath.

10. i am 26 and in what i would consider extremely good physical shape. yeah, it is a good reminder to concentrate on form, and breathing. remember to stop imediately if you feel it coming on during one of your reps, and walk around a while and take deep breaths.

also do a lot of head/neck rolls for stretching, not 360 degress, but just back and forth in the front to streatch out the muscles and tendons running from your traps and spine to the back of your head.

go slow, you will be fine.

god damn, i wish i had this info when it happened to me, seemed like i was the only one.

11. Nouia

Nouia New Member

I was 18 when it happened to me. No breath holding here...

12. brapbrap

brapbrap New Member

So is it ok for me to go right back to what i was lifting? Just stretch and be careful?

13. no no no... you can try it, but here comes the headache....

look at my post above... take a week off...come back with lighter weights and higher reps...

if you are like me you will still feel the pain, and imediately back off and stop.

for me there was no quck "getting back into the game" that was the hardest part. go easy, and soon you will be back there. trust me, it will take about 2 months till you will be able to lift at the same exertion level.

14. D

D A guiltless state of self awareness.. The process

Scalenes.
    I've been having headaches that last for weeks since a car accident I was in. These are the major culprits. I've been seeing a myofascial trigger point massage therapist for them.
    Only reason I'm posting is because I'm having a very serious issue with them.
    If this continues to be an issue for you at anytime in the future, you may want to look into what I'm posting.

http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-potter/Musculature/img022.jpg
    http://vancouvermassage.ca/images/spot04.jpg

They connect in front and back, and can be stretched.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.