Intel vs. AMD: Quad-Core

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BakedLikeLays, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Is there any difference? I am building a gaming unit and want to build something nice for as little money as possible.

I can get a MoBo and an AMD Phenom for like $190 where as a comparable Intel setup is almost double.... makes me wonder??

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

In this generation, AMD has fallen behind. Intels Quads make AMDs look like a joke. If you want something that can compete, the new phenom II is shaping up to be much, much better in that regard. However, the price difference will be lessened greatly.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The fastest phenom x4 (9950) is in the same performance ballpark as a Q6600. So, performance-wise, intel's quad-core line begins where amd's leaves off. The Q6600 is only $20-$30 more than the 9950, so the price difference isn't that huge for comparable performance.

4. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Its also notable that the Q6600 can overclock better than any current Phenom.

5. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

I honostly would suggest to coin up and go lower end intel that is > high end amd, simply because of quality of chip.

I have NEVER had a intel chip die, nor have I had problems with any motherboard running an intel chip (intel knows how to make chipsets and specs for interacting with them...amd kinda lacks here but is improving).

My parents still have an old Intel Celeron 300A (300mhz) over clocked to 504mhz from like 97 something super old like that... still works fine with it being over 10 years old and over clocked its whole life...

Anyways I have had lots of issues with AMD chips and motherboards in the past. It is worth my time to just coin up a little bit more, and get the peace of mind Intel brings.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

AMD Athlon XP's had trouble with cracking because of the heavy heatsinks they used and the lack of armor on top of the die, but the newer AMDs are plenty strong.

If you were buying dual-core, I'd say to definitely go with Intel, but with quad-core the difference in real-world speed is less of an issue because the CPUs can do so many things at the same time to start with -- it's kind of like, it doesn't matter if the cashiers at the store aren't lightning-fast as long as there are a bunch of registers open so the lines aren't long.

If you can get a comparable AMD quad for 1/2 the price of an Intel quad, I'd get the AMD quad and save the money.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I would go Q6600 . Make sure it's an E0 Stepping version and it will go to over 3ghz, Thermal right coolers were the best a few months back I believe.

8. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

You me "G0" stepping there Mr.05 :ugh:

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

what the fuck is with the attitude

10. deusexaethera

What are you talking about? :ugh: People who don't even know the differences between design steppings and lot numbers are fucking morons and shouldn't be building computers.

(in all fairness, the guy shouldn't delve into details he's not sure about.)

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

oh the irony.

12. deusexaethera

There's a difference between having ideals and living up to them, isn't there?

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

EDIT: It's about time that I stop being a dick. :)

Anyway, how do Intel and AMD quad core procs compare anyway? The last thing I read said that Intel was still pretty far ahead, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

parse error

15. r00tman

r00tman Archiver of LOLs

lol