Intel P4 Motherboard's - Answers Needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaveyD, Mar 13, 2005.

1. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I think I will be buying a new CPU-Mobo combo. I have decided on getting a P4. But I do not know what kinda mobo to get the best results of out the cpu to get. I do audio editing, lots of listening to mp3's and music, surfing, typing of papers. Audio editing is the most intensive. Give me some insights on what board.
    1. Do not bash my decision, and tell me to get an AMD. I don't wanna hear it.
    2. I have researched mobo's for when I wanted to buy an AMD chip and was set on getting an Abit. Are Abit's good for P4's just like they are good for AMD's.
    3. I will also be adding a Gig chip of ram into this mobo, also let me know what type of ram to get with all the PC2000-PC4000 I dunno what they mean.
    4. In the near future, I would like to add a DVD burner. What should I look for in that since I have seen there are DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and what not.
    Help a brother out.
    Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

1) I have an intel system (amd last) and I am very happy in my choice to go with Intel.

2) ABit boards are definitely not on my list of recommended boards. You can get much more, for less. On the AMD side, they're okay if you want to o/c... But they are not stable. On the Intel side, they are crap. Nothing beats an Intel desktop board -- nothing.

3) Do not get a 1GB stick of memory unless you are getting 2 sticks. Always buy memory in pairs, and always in "Dual Channel" kits. I would get Corsair ValueSelect or Corsair XMS DDR2-533.

4) Get the NEC 3520A DVD+/-RW... It does every format, all at the fastest speeds.

I would grab an Intel D915PBLL or D925XCVLK and the LGA-775 chip of your choice. I have my Intel 550 o/cd to 3.8GHz running 100% stable, fwiw.

3. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Interesting..the last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago), intel did not allow FSB overclocking in their bios or with on-board jumpers. Are you using a hacked image?

4. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

from everything I have read and from customer problems and friends running it, dual channel ram is over rated and runs slower than regular ram. My intel motherboard does not require dual channel ram I am running hyper x pc4000 512, 2 sticks of it

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have read wrong, then.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Intel allows overclocking with their new 915/925 platforms.

7. DaveyD

:bowdown:
    Thank you. Someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about. I have an AMD set up right now, not very happy with it. I know some AMD Leghumpers, telling me to wait for AMD64 to go down, but I really dont need 64 bit processing, and also telling me to wait for PCI-E to take off, but than again, I would also have to buy a new video card, as I really do not do anything video card based. I have an Intel at my office at school, and it runs great. Granted it is a Dell, cause that is what everyone has at the school, I didn't pay for so I don't care, but it runs well. So thus is why my decision is to possibly go with an Intel now. I have never had an Intel desktop, but I do have a Celeron Laptop, its ok for what I do on my laptop, which isnt much.
    Is there are certain namebrand of Mobo I should look for, or just an Intel chipset? And I am understanding that I should buy 2 chips of Ram, so I will go with 2 - Gig chips I guess. What about Critcal ram? Decent, Yes-No?
    Thanks for the help. Any more insight would be welcome also.

8. Pepsi1975

I seriously doubt that, I researched it hard and heavy before spending my money on the hyper x

9. Pepsi1975

matter of opinion, truthfully

10. Pepsi1975

I know what dual channel is, and I have a lot of reviews comparing dual channel compared to single channel and it is a matter of opinion, I have seen reviews and tests provening dual was faster than single and I have seen tests blowing dual channel out of the water

so right now as far as I am concerned it is a matter of opinion I have yet to see proof over and over saying dual is better

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

HyperX does not make a system run "Dual channel" In fact, the cheapest Corsair (ValueSelect) will run dual channel.

Your research was not very accurate.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

please show me ONE trustworthy source showing a modern platform that performs better single channel than dual channel.

13. Pepsi1975

for you information I have 2 computer degrees, PC support Trchnician and Network Administrator, I don't need to prove shit to you, I know what I have read, i get all kinds of computer magazines and read them and pitch them after I am done, I don't do all my research online. I do know what the difference is, you are the one name calling and asting like a little bitch, I have never insulted you once, but you seem to think you are better than people and talk down to them. I know my shit, but I don't have to prove it to anyone, or act superior to everyone to make myself feel imporant. You can think what you want, but I know the truth, I know what I read, and if you want to label go ahead, I see you as one of these people that read a little and with that tiny nit of knowledge they think think they know it all and can't be wrong. I don't compare one stick of ram to 2 sticks. I researched the bench marks of 2 512 mbs of ram before deciding to buy the Hyper X by kingston.

14. Pepsi1975

never once did I say Hyper X was dual channel

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then please explain this:

The way you type makes it appear you researched HyperX (read : crap) and then lumped all DC configurations in with it -- which is absolutely absurd.

16. Pepsi1975

I researched all types of ram before I bought the Hyper x

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

uh, why in the world would you buy HyperX over something, you know, decent?

I would rather have Corsair ValueSelect than HyperX. And XMS would *KILL* HyperX.

18. Pepsi1975

I have never had any problems with any kingston ram in the past, and i bought the Hyper X a bout a year or so ago and all the reviews and tests were great for it

19. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Dual channel ROCKS. On my Chaintech 7NIL1 motherboard I ran two Infineon 256MB PC3200 sticks I got from a buddy for $50.

Super fast and stable, I loved every minute of it. I swear the PC would do something before I told it to!

My single-channel dual CPU system with a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P is much slower for memory intensive applications.

20. DaveyD

:dunno: Bump for any more options, and less bickering?? :)

21. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've been whoring ASUS products for awhile, but do make sure you get an Intel chipset.

I haven't looked at their latest for over 6 months now so I don't know what's on the market.

22. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

:werd:

I like Asus, the Intel boards are good i've run both but I prefer the Asus over the Intel OEM