Intel LAN Fest - anybody into LAN parties?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Vector, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Vector

Vector New Member

Have you guys heard about Intel LAN Fest? Goofy name, awesome concept. It's a chain of charity LAN parties run across the US at a variety of Intel sites. Some of the events are actually on the Intel campuses, others are just nearby.

The folks that run it are mostly Intel employees, but with a lot of support from local gaming groups. The cool thing is that the employees involved are gamers, too -- i.e. they don't get paid to do this, they just like to game, and they're not the marketroids trying to get you to buy everything you see at the event.

For a $25 donation at most of the events, you get a straight 24 hours or more of bring-your-own-computer gaming, free Monster Energy, free pizza, entry into all the tournaments (usually everything popular right now), a shot at like $15k in door prizes, and Intel even matches the donation so double your admission goes to charity -- pretty cool stuff.

Anyhow, there are a few of these scheduled -- the one coming up in Arizona in two weeks is the largest LAN in the state (I help run that one). Plus one in SoCal, one in MA, two at PAX, and a buttload more coming every quarter.

We have a blast -- if you're a PC gamer, it's pretty much like the equivalent of Disneyland. Check out the site, sign up and swing by one of 'em, especially if you're close to AZ (if so come find me -- I'll be the redheaded dude who looks waay stressed out) -- this is really something cool that I think a big corporation has finally gotten right.

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I would have been down if this was like five years ago.

3. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I remember LAN parties..

4. Vector

Vector New Member

Hahaha -- well, there's no Desert Combat, or Q3A, or UT2003, etc...but scarily enough CS:S is still popular from five years ago.

Obviously L4D, COD, TF2 are the games of choice for most.

Oh and if anybody's still into the UT series, Asus committed a G50 gaming laptop to the winner of UT3 at each event...not a bad take for a couple hours of playing. And that's just for that tournament.