Intel: i7 VS C2D... Which One?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Nov 17, 2008.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Well I came to a very sad conclusion last night: I can't edit anymore on my computer. Windows is too bogged down, and 1GB RAM isn't enough for Premiere while the computer tries to stop virii and force automatic updates on me and what not. I do fine in Ubuntu, but Windows just grinds to a hault. Anyways, I need to start building a new computer, one that's going to last a few years spec-wise. No gaming, but video editing, probably enough to edit in HD when I get the equipement.

Here's my specs now:

Intel IV 3.0 GHz
    1GB Ram
    ATi Radeon 9200SE

Here's what I'm thinking:
    Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor
    or
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Both $320. Here's the thing: the i7's mobo is one hundo more, so there's that. Also, is there is big diff? Maybe he c2d (c2q) is swifter for video editin'?

Perhaps I should drop all of this and get a Mac? After all, I'm much more comfortable with Final Cut Pro. But 2000$ for a laptop :hsugh:

2. ge0

ge0 New Member

the i7 is a quad processor that uses hyper-threading to split up taks. In a sense, its 8 "cores"

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

One of the areas the i7 really pulls ahead of the c2d is in video encoding. Anandtech did a good review of i7 in comparison to the c2d.

Aside from needing the Intel X58 chip mobo for the i7, you also should use DDR3 to really take advantage of the chip. In doing this you are also going to want to get RAM is sets of 3 rather than 2 so you are running it in triple channel mode.

Either chip, as I assume you know, would be a massive upgrade from what you have now though. Also, if you plan on upgrading in the future, the i7 uses Intel's new socket whereas the c2d uses the current 775 socket.

4. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Good info. Was considering the 9550 and then saw an email about the i7. Only problem I see with the I7 right now is lack of motherboards available for it. I checked newegg, and they only had like 10.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

lol, i just bought my i7 on newegg today because it's the first day they put them up.

anyways, newegg only had like 8 or so different options for tri-channel memory kits and i got one but a few hours later they were all sold out.. my friend is trying to build his computer but i guess he either has to wait or buy 2 dual-channel kits or something :mamoru:

6. ady

ady New Member

Well there is only 3 processors and they are all high end, it's not like there needs to be that many motherboard options being that officially they only came out today. Are there boards that don't have features people want or something?

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

note that this is the 'Bloomfield' platform, the enthusiast level which means more $$$$ and X58 only,.. so expect only a few motherboards.

the mainstream ones are 'Lynnfield/Havendale' cpus.
    these are the ones who will use different varieties of mobos with P55/P53, G55/G53, nforce, etc chipsets.
    these will be out mid 2009 and will use a different socket (LGA 1156) than Bloomfield's LGA 1366.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

coronet... have you tried doing a reformat and reinstall? that might at least get you by until the i7 platform is more widely available.

9. coronet

It's on a shared partition with Linux. How can I trick windows to reform without overwriting linux?

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

shared partition with linux? how do you have it setup? which did you install first? reinstalling windows may fuck up the boot configuration. you may be able to just whack the important directories like windows and program files and reinstall.

11. Jtech

Jtech Guest

35mm chips are only 6 months away

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Intel 35nm chips? No they aren't. 32nm chips are at least a year away.

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah

a few chips out by Nov 2009
    the rest of the 32nm chips in 2010

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Why don't you just add more RAM and remove the viruses properly?

15. deusexaethera

That's not what Hyper-Threading does.

Hyper-Threading uses two registers per core to store the memory addresses of two tasks that need to be run, instead of one register per core that "normal" CPUs have. What this means is, if the task that the first register points to needs to stop running because it's waiting for user input or a file from the hard drive, then the core can just start running the task that the second register points to immediately, instead of having to drag in the operating system and run it so the OS can tell the CPU what it should do next.

The simpler version is Hyper-Threading forces the operating system to make a list of tasks for each CPU core to run, instead of only choosing one task at a time, so each CPU core can just run down the list instead of having to go back to the OS to ask for more work every time a program needs to stop and wait for something.

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

sigh

hyper-threading is a tech by Intel to 'fool' the OS' process scheduler so it will see/use two logical cores instead of one physical core.

17. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

omg, please just stop. i don't know why you always try to go into so much detail about stuff you don't understand.

p.s. lol @ one register per core

18. deusexaethera

I know there's more than one register per core, but only one of them is used to store the execution pointer. With hyperthreading, two are used for that purpose instead.

Sue me for not diving into so much detail that the explanation would be totally incomprehensible to anybody without an EE degree.

19. deusexaethera

And what exactly do you think that accomplishes, if not exactly what I said?

20. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

what you are describing is the job of the OS' kernel and process scheduler
    it also applies to a 'normal' multi-core cpu (without hyper-threading)

21. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

1) hyperthreading duplicates the whole architectural state, not just one register; as doomsday said, it looks to the O/S like another core.

2) the O/S doesn't have to do anything special like you were saying "organizing tasks" or whatever you were claiming; the only thing it has to provide is the ability for each core to access the same memory, which most operating systems do anyways if they support multiple processors.

3) since it only duplicates the artchitectural state but not the execution resources only one thread can still run at at a time, so if one thread has to stall the other can use the resoureces the other thread isn't using. threads don't stall because they're waiting for user input or disk i/o like you said, that's the operating systems business... threads stall due to cache misses or branch mispredictions and the such.

who said anything about you not providing enough detail? however if you're going to go into detail you should at least know what you're talking about. it sounded like you were just trying to confuse people and sound smart. what doomsday said was simple enough...

and i don't have a degree in EE :hsugh:

22. deusexaethera

Close, but not quite. Multiple cores execute multiple threads simultaneously; Hyperthreading executes multiple threads in-order. If they did the same thing, there wouldn't be any point in making a multi-core hyperthreaded processor, would there?

And yes, it does the job of the process scheduler, to a limited degree. By "fooling the OS" into giving a single core multiple tasks to do, the core can run those multiple tasks one after another, without wasting time loading and running the process scheduler after every single task.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  23. deusexaethera

Yes, it looks like another core, because that way it will assign multiple tasks to a single core. That doesn't mean they execute simultaneously.

So you've never heard of the process scheduler, eh? "Organizing tasks" is exactly what it does. Did you even take an OS Architecture class? I did.

Yes, I agree. Because it's the exact same concept I already described. Apparently you wanted me to use the words you learned, though, and not mine. I'll try to remember that next time this topic comes up.

Yes, threads stall when they're waiting for input, be it from RAM or the disk or the keyboard buffer. There's no functional difference between them, as far as the thread that's waiting for input is concerned.

I'm sorry you're so easily confused.

24. coronet

RAM socket type is no longer manufactured

no virii detected

25. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

as far as the OS is concerned they do. you seem to be having a hard time separating hardware and software

I've taken a computer architecture class, and an operating system design class. I don't wtf an OS Architecture class is, it must be some dumbed down version of the both of those. either that or it's just the OS side, which would explain why you don't know what you're talking about.

p.s. the scheduler is software. we're talking hardware. once again, you seem to be having trouble telling the difference.

:hsugh:

not in the same sense. when a thread is "stalled" in the sense you're talking about it is swapped out of the processor. this has nothing to do with hyper threading.

lol, i'll admit it, it is confusing when you know how something works and someone comes in and describes it so wrong. i wouldn't say i'm EASILY confused though, even though your post was confusing and took some deciphering on my part to figure out what you were talking about.