intel core duo crew- multiplier question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr. Smooth, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

i recently built a system with an e6750 and a gigabyte gs3r mobo. iirc the proc. has a locked multiplier of 8x, and i have bumped the fsb up to 400 (3.2ghz final speed) which runs 1:1 with my ddr2 800 ram. however, when i monitor the cpu stats in cpuz, i see that my proc. is running at 6x sometimes, and 8x others. i figure this is probably some sort of power saving feature, something on my motherboard, but it is annoying. anybody know whats up? it was doing this before i did the overclock, and when i try to enter the multiplier in the bios, i get a prompt to enter one number (8), but the display shows 2 values- min. 6 and max. 8. i'd just like to run it at 8x all the time, i'm pretty confident my hardware can handle that.

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I don't see why you would want to change it - it's doing that to save power when it's idling. If you actually needs to be used, it'll bump itself back up to 8x.

3. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

i was wondering about that. i should run a game in windowed mode or a stability test and monitor that it actually stays at 8x. thanks

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

It is a power saving feature. Just leave it alone.

Though, it does affect the stability of some overclocks.
    To turn it off,... disable C1E and EIST in the bios.