Integrated Sound ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YelloWRX, May 26, 2003.

1. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

I'm about to buy a new desktop, and since I work for a company that makes PCs, I believe I should support the company that pays me...That said, they are currently only offering PCs with integrated sound cards. I use my PC to connect to my stereo for MP3s, DVDs, etc.. They gave me some story about how the PCs they are currently selling are all Intel 865 Chipset based, and all of those MoBo's have the sound integrated.

My question is, how bad is integrated sound? (I'm currently running a Sound Blaster Pro)

2. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

The integrated soundcards nowdays ain't too bad especially since you're running a SoundBlaster Pro(ISA?), I'm looking into getting an Abit i865 board and I do believe you can disable the onboard sound if you really want to, for most users though the onboard sound has improved to the point where if you're not running an audiogy or Santa Cruz there isn't really much point in using your old soundcard. Although I will be using my Hercules GameTheatre just for the fact that there's an external module for all my junk. ;)

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And in the end, you CAN disable it.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The only way to tell is to try it. If you do hook your compuer up to your home theater, a good way to get noticebly better quality is to go with a digital (SPDIF) connection from the PC to the receiver.