Integrated Amp for GR-Research AV-1 Page

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by John, Apr 11, 2004.

1. John

John Guest

Hello, I will be building the AV-1 with the soniccap upgrade soon and am wondering what integrated amp will be suitable.

My sources will be
    • Music server playing FLAC with high end soundcard
    • Cd player (not yet decided)
    • Tuner (again, not yet decided)
    • Ocassional DVD on the computer
    • Video Game music

The emphasis is on the music server as it will be the main use of the AV-1s

My budget is 350-600, new or used.

I have looked at NAD, Creek, Rotel, Arcam, Cambridge Audio and Onix (the A-60 at av123.com)

I have hadd a hard time selecting what I think will be best for the money. This is my first outing into some good 2-channel gear and do not want to spend too much. What do you guys suggest?

Also, one last thing, in the future I will want to add a sub, how would I do this and do all integrated amps support this?

2. 04

04 Guest

That New Onix amp looks pretty interesting, I havent heard anything about it though. I don't know if you would consider buying a reciever, but the Panasonic XR45 switchmode reciever gets rave reviews on avsforum and hometheaterforum. It is also quite compact. You might want to look into it, and the Panasonic has subwoofer preouts as well.

3. John

John Guest

THe Onix amp was actually designed a few years ago but never put on the market, they are now deciding to sell of them at a deeply discounted price. There was a 120 watt version, but that is all sold out.

Thanks for the suggestion on the panasonic, I'll search the audio forums for that.

4. John

John Guest

hmm, Hadn't considered a digital amp, much less a panny digital receiver.