Integra LS vs GSR?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by StealthMode, Jun 1, 2004.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I'm just curious on what the real difference is between the Interga LS and GSR? I believe they'r both 1.8 VTEC's right?
    I'm in the market for a new car since I totaled mine last Sunday, and the Integra is one of the cars I am considering. If the engine is pretty close in the LS to the GSR, couldn't I mod the LS just as easy more or less? Basically, do I need the GSR, or will the LS be fine, and just as tunable performance wise. I have no clue really, which is why I am asking before I do something I would regret AFTER I bought it :ugh: Anyway, thanks for any help.

Stealth -

2. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

get a gsr...ls is weak

3. StealthMode

How about a little more info?

4. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

The LS is non-VTEC. That is why it only has ~140hp, compared to the GSR's 170hp. You can tune both of them, but it really depend on what you're looking for in a car.

5. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Just some magizine stats for you:

1994 Integra LS -
    0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds
    1/4 Mile in 16 seconds

1994 Integra GSR -
    0-60 in 7.1 seconds
    1/4 Mile in 15.5 seconds

1997 Integra GSR -
    0-60 in 7.0 seconds
    1/4 Mile in 15.6 seconds

6. StealthMode

So as far as this goes, the LS isn't really any slower at all. Hmmm, I was looking on ebaymotors and there were a fiew newer LS with VTEC, does that sound right?
    Which model comes with the B16 motor anyway? All of them that I have seen are B18, or is the LS something different? I'm not really up on which Honda/Acura has what motor and what not, so any help would be great. Thanks again.
    So far it seems as it wouldn't matter, I might as well get the LS, probably easier to find, and probably cheaper no?

Stealth -

7. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

the ls is missing alot of things compared to the gsr.

gsr come standard with manual tranny, power windows, leather on 98+ models, power locks, better suspension and a few other things.

the b16 comes in the civic si, 98-00?? i think.
    it comes in a bunch of other cars in jdm land, thats why they are cheap to import.

the ls tranny has a longer final drive, so its not nearly as fun to drive compared to the gsr.
    the ls does have a decent amount of torque because of the differnet stroke ratio

in managzine racing the gsr and ls might not be that different, if you added a header, intake manifold, exhaust, and fpr to the gsr, it will kick the poo out of a ls.

i have a gsr body but with the b20 engine. gsr tranny and a few other mild things. I think its pretty fun, a bit slower than the stock gsr motor, but way more torque down low.

hope that helps...

8. StealthMode

Ok, that clears it up better. No wonder I have ben having hard time finding a 5spd LS. How much more can I expect to pay for a GSR model? Will the insurance be any higher?
    What would be the most cost effective mods for starters as well? Thanks again :)

Stealth -

9. justmanson

justmanson Guest

not sure how much more you would expect to pay...depends on alot of factors. just don't pay more for a car that is modified... you never know who worked on the car or how well the car has been taken care of... buy it stock and mod it yourself. insurance should be just a tad higher.

most effective mods are Intake/ Header / Cat / Exhaust for low budget.
    want more power... more aggressive cams / head work / vafc / tuning / and all of the above.

10. StealthMode

I don't plan on buying a modified one, rather do it all myself so I know what went into it and what not. Thanks for the info. Now if I can just find myself a clean GSR around here...

Stealth -

11. StealthMode

So far I have found one GSR that is in my price range..97 GSR and heres a LS 5spd What do you think?

Stealth -

12. StealthMode

I got another question regarding the LS 1.8, it's a B18(not sure what comes after this) Could I not put a different head on, ie. B16A VTEC if that makes any sense. Not sure what head would be best, using that one as an example.
    I just don't know what to do, or get, and I wish I knew a little more about Honda motors and what not. Thanks for your patience :big grin:

Stealth -

13. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

insurance wont be that much different. maybe another 20-100 more per year.

you might want to get a price quote right now before you commit to anything.
    im 22 and havent had a ticket for 3 years and only one ticket before that.

i live in a really good neighborhood and only drive about 5 miles to work.
    i pay about 850 per 6 months on my insurance.

the ls model is really cheap if something ever breaks.
    vs the gsr its more pricey.

you can do a head swap to add vtec. but if you get into changing big parts like that, things arent really simply any more.

14. StealthMode

Yea, just did a price quote on insurance today and I can get anywhere from the absolute basic at $780 every 6 months, or over $3k... Joy..

Stealth -

15. justmanson

justmanson Guest

the LS b18 with a b16a head...vtec head... is called an LS/Vtec. it is common practice with most honda engine builders now and has proven to make lots of power. you can also use a gsr head and the type r head. most use the b16 since it flows well and cost alot less. most professional drag racers use the gsr head just so you know.

its not really that hard to do the head swap, but you will need the correct ECU for the head you use...thats plug and play if i remember correctly.

if you want to do some major research on the job check www.honda-tech.com make sure you search before posting and check the archived topics as well.

personally i would buy the GSR that way everything is there already. think about it... you buy the LS then you find a b16, gsr, or type r head, then you have to pay for the head gasket set, tools, and the head itself, total around say $1000 high side $500 low side. if you don't install it yourself figure in another $500 low side $1000 high side. and don't forget the ECU which is around $200-$300 bucks. now all the time you've had to wait to get the car back and running... is it really worth is to not buy the GSR which has everything you want already. buy the gsr.

16. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

so you going to get a different car now that you know how much insurance is?

at a financial point, its stupid. think about all the money that just goes down the drain each month.

i would get a sporty 4 door or something. like a maxima

if i could do it over, i wouldnt get a gsr

17. StealthMode

Well, I can't find any GSR's in my price range, and any that I do find are all 80 miles away or more. Can't find any 5spd LS's either so I give up for now. Can't find anything foreign in my price range...
    Not sure what to do now. Doh! :sad2:

18. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Man I feel you like you wouldn't believe. Took me a couple months to finally get a grip on reality and buy a practical car. I was really interested in a 90 RX7 too, but with gas prices what they are....damn I can't do it.

What's on your driving record? I have a ticket and an at-fault accident and my insurance is 460 for 6 months liability only. And this is with a 1993 Infiniti G20. I live in California as well, I think insurance tends to be more expensive here.

What is your price range if you don't mind me asking? And where are you located?

19. lilpbody10

lilpbody10 Guest

gsr are great. But the ls model integra could be made to over power the gsr. Mainly with the low compression of the ls motor. The ls motor can be turbo on stock internals and run 300 hp. With a build bottom end on an ls it could be made to out perform a gsr motor.Many people go for the gsr because of the vtec . But this doesn't mean shit when turbos come into play.Just to give you an example. http://www.importreview.com/d_turbo.html

20. StealthMode

One speeding ticket and a no fault accident, the one that totaled my car :wtc: hence the reason why I am needing a new one real bad. I am putting over $100 a week in gas in the truck I am driving atm.

My price range is around $8k, then when school rolls around again and money becomes tighter I'll still be able to afford payments. I was going to buy a 98 Grand Prix GT w/70k miles on it for $7100 (got the dealer to come down $500). Real nice car, lots faster than anything I am used to driving, but the old man won't cosign :squint: But thats another whole can of beans.

Now I am stuck, I need a car, but at the same time I am not going to settle for a dam lumina!!! What to get?...

I'm from MN, central part near St Cloud.

Stealth -

21. StealthMode

Sounds great, but I have only been able to find one LS with a 5spd... I don't really feel like buying an auto if I ended up with that car.

Stealth -

22. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

what about a civic hatch back?

cheap insurance and gas mileage is good

easy to swap a b series motor in there.

you can just do a ls swap with gsr tranny and bolt ons, and still have a fun car for not that much money.

find some used konis and ground controls, plus gsr/itr rear sway bar. and you have a good handleing car.

23. StealthMode

Heh... Of all the hatchbacks, the civics are the ones I loathe the most... And with all that motor swapping and what not, why not just buy something that already has it?

Stealth -

24. Slash

Slash New Member

Well of course.. you just built the bottom end! For the price of that sort of rebuild you could have also rebuilt the VTEC motor with lower compression and still had the far superior flow of the vtec head....

Even so, stock B18 vtec's can make 300-350fwhp with systems like hondata in a daily driving setup. Its all about proper parts and MOST importantly PROPER DYNO TUNING.. There is no substitute..

25. AirWaveGT

AirWaveGT Do tiny black horses eat ice cream while dancing

ls has b18b 140hp, gsr has b18c1 170hp
    gsr has a closer geared transmission than the ls.
    gsr has higher redline, higher compression
    all gsr's have a manual transmission
    94-97 the gsr has 15" rims while the ls has shitty 14"
    98+ gsrs have "blades" while either 98+ or 200+ ls have the same rims that come on the 97 gsr
    putting a vtec head on a b18b is possible and would yield more hp than a stock gsr properly tuned, but also is less reliable from what i have heard.
    if insurance isnt that big of a difference between the two then the gsr would be the car to get. for any mod that you would do to the ls, if you did the same to the gsr it would make more power. both could be turboed to 300whp w/ stock block if tuned correctly but it is not garaunteed to be reliable. gsr is a superior car in every way except the insurance may be more and they cost more to buy. Ho much do you plan on spending on a car? I know you can find 94-95 gsrs for around $5-7000 with decent miles in good condition. also if you plan to turbo and use plan to use hondata or uberdata it would be easier if the car was 94-95 (obd1). if your car is 96+ you will have to convert to obd1 or buy a standalone that replaces your ecu such as aem ems.
    ask if you have anymore questions, i probably forgot some other stuff that i wanted to say

edit: also the reason for swapping engines into hatches is because of insurance, sleeper effect, and they are a good amount lighter than an integra. A gsr weighs around 2660lbs and a 92-95 hatch weighs somewhere between 2-400 lbs less, im not totally sure. you could also swap into a crx, some of which weigh under 2000lbs