intakes on trucks actually worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by giblit, Jul 4, 2005.

1. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

went moshin the other day and got some water in my engine and everyone told me to get a k&n air intake but all the ones i can find are like 250 bucks. just wondering if they are actually worth buying

2. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

damn..........expensive intake. i thought the nismo one for my '05 Frontier was expensive. uh......if I remmeber right, a guy dyno'd his frontier before and after a K&N filter and gained 5hp and 5tq. just all depends on how restrictive the stock intake setup is.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in my testing, I have found intakes to HURT performance on stock engines. Unless you've built your motor to need the extra air, then don't get an intake. Although an aftermarket intake can "flow" better, it usually does so at a much higher intake charge temperature -- which lowers air density, and hurts performance.

4. JaTe

JaTe New Member

i buy it for the mean sound under wot!

5. iansane

iansane Active Member

If you plan on hitting any mud or water stay away from those ricer "intakes" As soon as you splash the engine bay at all the filter is just going to suck up the water/mud.

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The stock intakes on most trucks do a good enough job. Don't forget that your gonna turn your gas mileage to shit if you are constantly burying your foot in the carb.

Don't bother with the intake. Keep your air filter clean and you'll be fine.

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

on my blazer, I bought one of those intakes from ebay then modded my stock box it worked as a "shield" I've taken it thru mud, water holes and creeks and haven't had an issue.

8. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

i just got a K&N intake for my ranger and the sound is awesome when you get on the gas. i havent had it long enough to see any change in my gas mileage. if you are going off-road a lot i probably wouldnt reccomend it because its is very open to water/mud.

9. giblit

giblit OT Supporter

you talked me out of it. i just was thinkin of of trying to keep my engine dryer because it sucks when you get water in it.

10. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

I know on the Tundras like mine they acctually hurt power till almost 5k rpms. and by that point it doesn't matter too much anyway. Trucks need low end grunt.

11. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

What do you have?
    I got a 02 tacoma, and i did the "deckplate mod". Seems to work fine for me. Sounds faster. If i really gained any HP, :dunno:.

Kinda has a ram effect now :o

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's all in your head. I've seen tests *specifically* with the tacoma 2rz and 5vz engines and it has either not helped, or actually HURT performance.

13. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

I bought my blazer; with a chip, k&n intake and gibson exhaust. I like the nice deep and hollow sound. No fart can for me

14. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

Me? 2003 white access cab, trd off road, 2wd, V8.... loaded. Love the truck :)

15. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I have a 96 Yukon with a stock intake now, should I upgrade? I have headers, cam, roller rocker arms, chip, and 383. Really only thing left is an intake. Ive been leary on spending $270+ for an intake for what little it does. But I was thinking with my mods, would the intake help more? I do need better mpg haha.

Also, what is a better design for offroading, open or boxed intake? The K&N is an open element intake, but I would use its filter wrap for water. I like the boxed in design letting a minimal amount of water to enter the intake, however what if water gets into the box and the box traps it in? I am scared that I would hydrolock the motor and I do not want to rebuild it again...

Here is the K&N: [​IMG]

Here is the Volant: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  16. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

put a snorkle on the yukon

17. RICKIEFRAT

RICKIEFRAT La Cosa Nostra

IMO - The Volant looks to have a better air flow than the K&N.

18. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

and for some reason, the K&N's have a habbit of popping off the Throttle body.

19. diranged

diranged New Member

I put the K&N FIPK on my 04 Dakota 4.7L and it made a huge difference. I have seen a few dyno sheets that give a 12-14WHP gain.

The only problem -- it made my truck loud as shit and too annoying to drive. I took it off within 24 hours and sold it on eBay. Sooommetimes thouse "sound boxes" that they use in your intakes are worth it...

20. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

A K&N kit on my Explorer really opened it up.

21. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You have headers, a hotter cam, and a 383 and you're concerned about gas mileage?

22. atjSanz

atjSanz New Member

well it doesnt matter think of your engine as lungs, the stock intake is like breathing through a straw and the k&n like a toilent paper roll. Which is better when your working hard. Also with an intake you need exhaust, going back to the metaphor the lung exhaling through a straw (stock), or the toilent paper roll (aftermarket). youll defently feel a diffrence when you put those things on. Also it helps your gas milage because your engine works more efficently.

23. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Then you lose exhaust gas velocity and hurt performance until you make enough exhaust to get velocity back up. At which point, your foot is a lot deeper on the pedal...hurting mileage. The secret to making power isn't just in giving an engine a big pipe to inhale and exhale through. It also includes maintaining enough velocity to keep the gasses moving fast. Why do you think porting a head without any other performance work usually leads to a drop in HP.

Buy a K&N if you want, it might gain you a little bump in power, but not enough to offset the cost.

Both of the intakes pictured still draw air in from the HOT under-hood region. If you really want to get an intake for performance reasons, look for one that draws it from a cooler source.

24. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

:ugh:

The Volant is a fenderwell intake with a tube going into the fender taking cool air off of the rotating tire (if you set everything up right)

25. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thats not visible in the pics. That would be a little better although that thin sheet metal and open area below still transmit a ton of heat.

It would be better to draw from the front of the vehicle.

Fact still remains that you aren't going to see much gain where it matters the most for a truck.