intake manifold bolts leaking oil

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by uofapeter, Nov 19, 2008.

1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

My intake manifold bolts are leaking oil. Its a 327 block with a TM-1 intake. the old bolts are mismatching and half of them don't even have washers on them. Any recommendations on bolts?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The bolts are leaking oil? You mean the bolt holes actually punch through the inside wall of the block? Wow.

3. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

:eek3: I used 4 inch wood bolts from home depot. Is that wrong?

Oil is leaking out of the bolt holes. Maybe its seeping through from a bad gasket or something but I'm 100% sure that is where it is coming from. I'm new to this shit. Help me out if you have any idea.

4. deusexaethera

Well, you definitely shouldn't be using wood bolts, they have the wrong kind of threads; if you can't get OEM bolts, at least use machine bolts designed for metal-to-metal contact. Also, if you can't get the bolts in without a wrench, the thread size is wrong. You should be able to hand-tighten them all the way until they bottom-out, and then use a wrench to torque them.

The first thing I'd do is take the manifold off again and check the bolt holes to see if there's any damage inside them, and whether they actually go through into the inside of the block. If the bolt holes are blind (i.e. they don't go all the way through the metal), then spray them out with throttle cleaner to remove the remaining oil and then figure out where the oil is really coming from. (Valve cover gaskets sound pretty likely in this case.) If the bolt holes do go all the way through the metal, then there must be some kind of sealant or washer you're supposed to use to keep oil from seeping past the bolt threads.

5. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Is this a troll thread?

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

It absolutely has to be ... is douche giving advice on oily intake bolts on a SBC. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. listen bro, you need to pm me and bring that chevelle over to the house, Ill straighten that shit out for you

8. deusexaethera

Nobody else is helping...

9. jeff2577

jeff2577 OT OG

Because nobody else is taking him serious. :ugh2:

10. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Neither are you since you don't know shit about SBCs.

11. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

Shoulda bought a SBF

12. deusexaethera

Are you saying there's supposed to be oil all over the intake manifold? If so, it's the first I've ever heard of such a design.

13. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. There is no valley cover on a Gen1 SBC like on the LS series engines separating the lifter valley from the bottom of the intake. There are bolt holes that go right into the oil galley on old school SBC designs they WILL seep oil if they are not sealed or if the PCV system is not up to par.

14. deusexaethera

Okay.
    Looks like I already addressed the possibility that the bolts go all the way through the outer wall of the crankcase. Meanwhile, you just contradicted yourself, because you just said the bolts are supposed to be sealed, which means they're not supposed to leak, but you implied by quoting my post that the bolts are supposed to leak -- pick one, it can't be both.

What it does mean is he did it wrong, as you all figured out and as I noted below:
    I realize it's a stupid mistake, and I'm not making any apologies for him, but I was actually trying to be helpful instead of (as someone else admitted) not taking him seriously -- and that's what makes me better than you.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  15. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

damn dude. You guess too much. I've seen you give out too much misinformation because of guesstimates. If you don't know for a fact why the intake bolts on a sbc can leak oil then you need to just quit. Thats like an elementary grade SBC troubleshoot question.

16. deusexaethera

...an elementary-grade SBC question -- which nobody else answered. I at least gave him a way to think about the problem so he could figure out what was wrong for himself, and the steps I wrote down do produce the right solution: take out the wood screws, clean the bolt holes and look for damage, and install new machine bolts with sealant on the threads. Done.

What does that tell you about this forum, that a guy asks a simple question that takes 5 seconds for someone with experience to answer, and yet someone who knows nothing about that engine has to help the guy figure it out because nobody else could spare those 5 seconds to stop circle-jerking and just fucking answer the guy's question?

17. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

WOOD SCREWS?? REALLY??

18. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

You better believe if I saw this thread earlier I would have pimp slapped the stupid out of your mouth and helped the guy.

19. boomer69

boomer69 New Member

You've got your work cut out for you. You're gonna get tired of slappin' Dipshit.

20. deusexaethera

Just read that part, huh?

21. deusexaethera

I wasn't blaming you specifically; the drama could've been completely skipped, though, if anyone had just posted a reply like "the bolt holes go all the way through into the crankcase, so the bolts will leak oil if they're not sealed properly. Take them out and put some Loctite on them."

22. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

THEY DONT GO ALL THE WAY INTO THE CRANKCASE ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  23. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

:rofl:

Isnt that the guy that just trolls thru car threads like he's got nothing better to do?

stupid troll is stupid :mamoru:

24. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

It was directed at you. Everyone one of us upon seeing that laughed and exited the thread knowing it was not a serious thread. Then you started giving retardedly bad advice.

LOL at bolts going into crankcase. Just stop now. REALLY!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

25. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Then he would have been using 4 inch wood screws to hold the block together in the lifter valley.

:noes:

(Sorry had to be done.)