Insurance?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cicada, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Cicada

Cicada Guest

how many of you have just liability? full coverage?

just wondering because i may just end up insuring myself, and with 1 bad accident on my record [no tickets, but 1 baaaaad accident...rollover] on my record, i know full coverage will be extremely high, and the difference between liability vs full coverage is large.

opinions?

wont be buying new, as i've said; looking at the honda hawk right now as my first bike, and looking to buy one as soon as i do the MSF course, probably sometimes next year.

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

liability is not that important. according to the NHTSA, nearly 9/10 accidents involving a motorcycle and automobile find the automobile driver at fault. unless you're an idiot doing 150+ on the highway and wipe out, sending your bike thru the windshield of an oncoming car, you're pretty much ok. also realize that if you end up causing significant property damage to someone else, you're probably dead and wont have to worry about owing them shit.

i have full coverage. my ONLY reason for this is for comprehensive coverage... if it gets stolen, i get a new one after a $250 deductible.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

30/60/30 + uninsured motorist as a minimum
    If you can afford it, also get comprehensive for the theft coverage.

4. Cicada

Cicada Guest

hmmm -- so who should i look into that's good with bike insurance? who are you insured w/ ?

my parents are with mercury for car insurance and right now we're paying out the ass for my insurance because of my accident...my mom's S500 is about 1500/yr, and my car is about 4000/yr -- more than all 4 of our other cars combined.

i imagine it'd be even more for a bike, full coverage.

so.....who should i look into for bike insurance?

5. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Only advice I can give you is shop around. Call every company and get a quote, or better yet if you have the time make an appointment with an agent and speak with them in person. Sometimes a company will only insure a bike if you have a car insured through them also.

I only have liability insurance, it's costing me $1500 for the year through Progressive. :wtc: 3 speeding tickets, no accidents. Asked them how much theft insurance would be and the lady said an additional $1200 a year. :wtf: :sad2:

Shop around.

6. laimbeer

laimbeer Active Member

My insurance company quoted me 850 a year full coverage on an FZ6, which was 100 lower than Progressive and nearly half of every other quote I received.

7. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

I agree with others that you should seriously consider getting UM/UIM. There are just too many people out there drivign around without insurance, and you will be stuck paying your own bills if an accident happens.

I am paying $372 a year for full coverage through GEICO for my suzuki bandit 400- no accidents,clean record, and have taken the MSF.
    50/100,000 liability
    25,000 damage
    50/100,000 UM/UIM
    3,500 UIM damage
    Comprehensive $250 deductible

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  8. fyp619

fyp619 New Member

yeah uninsured motorist if you live in cali. it's like 100 bucks more a year for me.

progressive wanted 700 a year for liability for my f2. mcgraw/pacific specialties wanted 130 a year/230 including uninsured. and cycleinsure.com wanted 89 a year for just liability. just keep calling around. the only bad thing about not having your license for long is that some people won't offer you full coverage.

9. Cicada

Cicada Guest

just checked with progressive [through their online quote shitter]

and got:

Your 12 month quote is $1109.00

Bodily Injury & Property Damage & Guest Passenger (BIPD/GP) coverage: 50k person/100k accident/25k property

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UM/UIM) coverage: 50k person/100k accident

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage (UMPD) coverage: $3500 property [no deduc]

Comprehensive (COMP) coverage: $250 deduc

Collision (COLL) coverage: 500 deduc.

0 violations, 1 comprehensive claim of $1000 or more [the rollover in october]

so im figuring it could be a bit higher if i choose to go with them and they verify evrything and find out how bad the accident was..

this is for a '88 Honda [hawk wasnt a choice in their models, so this is for a 650cc '88 Honds]

10. Cicada

Cicada Guest

Coverage Information

Drivers: Bryan K G....

Motorcycle: 1988 HONDA OTHER MODEL NOT LISTED ABOVE

Bodily Injury / Property Damage / Guest Passenger
    $50,000 person/$100,000 accident/$25,000 property

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury
    $50,000 person/$100,000 accident

Uninsured Motorists Property Damage
    $3,500 property (with no Deductible)

Medical Payments
    No coverage

Comprehensive
    $250 deductible

Collision
    $500 deductible

Custom Parts and Equipment
    No coverage

Roadside Assistance
    No coverage

Your 12 Month Progressive rate:

Paid in full: $1,109.00

Or with the following payment options:

****** 11 Pay Option ******
    Electronic Funds Transfer
    from checking account.

Down payment: $99.81
    10 payments*: $102.92

*Installments due every month
    for 10 months on the same day as
    the policy effective date.

****** 4 Pay Option ******

Down payment: $277.25
    3 payments*: $283.25

*Installments due 35, 65 and
    105 days from the start of the policy.

11. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Progressive = high sportbike rates.

I'm going through 21st Century, but I think you have to have a car policy with them in order to do a bike.

12. BeatKonducta

BeatKonducta New Member

ok. this is my case. i plan on buying a bike 2001 kawasaki ninja zx6r. USAA won't cover me *i have my car with them* because i have less than 5 years riding experience. progressive quoted me ~978/yr *i have 3 tickets, 1 accident*, state farm wouldn't touch me cuz of that. any other insurance companies i could hook up with? help me out here!!

13. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

:wtc: :sadwavey: