Insurance Costs Of A Camaro?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ronin, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

About how much would insurance cost for a first time driver for a 95-99 camaro?

Any ideas?

2. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

for minimum coverage probably around $200-$250.

3. syP

syP OT Supporter

v8 i assume?

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah

5. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

since you assumed, why wouldn't youhave finished your post? :hs:

6. syP

syP OT Supporter

because i didnt know.. i have a friend with a v6 camaro and a friend with a v8 camaro, so i wanted to see what he said then ask the friend, unfortunatley he isnt online yet

7. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

When I got my V6 Firebird, I had already been driving for a year. Insurance costs for me were just over $3000/yr. :eek4:

Guess that works out to something like $250/mo. That's for a V6, though. For a V8, I can guarantee you that it'll be more.

Funny thing is, now I'm driving a 2004 Grand Prix GTP, which has way more power. Thing is, they don't differentiate at my co. between a GT and GTP. I'm paying just a hair over $1000/yr (ab. $80/mo). Also, has a lot to do with the fact that I've been driving for 7 years now, no accidents or tickets. :)

8. syP

syP OT Supporter

im glad i get charged for GT insurance since i got 1997 with a P package including the transmission, and supercharger, lower compression and a few other odd ends.. .hehe GM

9. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

i hate my insurance company.

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm i think im going to drive a piecer until my insurance is cheap, then i can take my extra saved bling and get a performance beast.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

good idea. mine sposed to be over $400/month. my sisters is just under and she's 20. for a 17-18yr. old new driver it'll be sky high. probably be driving a miata or sumthin though lmao. but i have to get full ocverage (liability i think its called?) parents wont let me drive otherwise.

funny, i pay for 100% of insurance, but still under parents jurisdiction. argh cant wait til i'm 18.

12. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

:wavey: Hey man, didn't realize it was you. Whats up?

13. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Just a consideration, if you still want RWD and fun, think about picking up a 3rd Gen Camaro. Insurance tends to be a little bit cheaper on the older cars, and they can actually get out of their own way. If you pick up an IROC-Z with an auto tranny, that'll put down 230 horses. Another way to go is to pick up a Z28 with a 5-speed TPI motor. My fiancee used to have one, and for having only 200 horses, that thing was quite a fun car.

Trust me, though, it's worth waiting until your insurance goes down to get a high powered late model car. My GF and I are now shopping for an LS1 Camaro, and since we've both been driving for about 7 years now, insurance is far cheaper. A guy that I knew in high school sprung for a brand new 2001 Camaro SS. Insurance was almost $5000 a year because he got hit with speeding and reckless driving a bunch. Now, he's sold the car, still paying off the bills from it because of depreciation, and drives a crappy-ass Miata around. :eek4:

I know it sucks, but your patience will be rewarded. Besides, if you want to learn the ins and outs of cars, a beater is really the car to do it on. :)

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I'm going 94ish Maxima :cool: :hsd:

15. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Good car. That's got that 220ish hp motor, right? When I cross-shopped for a new car, it was between the new Maxima and the Grand Prix. They're both great cars. :)

Speaking of the previous insurance thing, I just got the quote for my fiancee on a '98 Z28 convertible. $663 for 6 months. Not bad at all, just goes to show that it pays to wait. That, and to really know a good insurance agent. :cool:

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the older maximas do 190, i suppose i could mod it over 200 if i wanted to but that seems like a waste.

17. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Thats the only thing worrying me about the Camaro I am looking to buy...insurance... Car payments will be cake, but full coverage will rape me...

18. syP

syP OT Supporter

Hayyyy :hay:

19. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

If I were you, I'd just be looking for basic coverage. If you're young, and you've got little cash anyway, there's no real reason to spring for the full coverage, as it's just more money out of your pocket. I've got just basic on my GP, and it's just going to be basic on the Camaro for my GF.

BTW, what year Camaro?

20. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

I drive an 01 Firehawk. I am 22 (23 in may) and I pay about $860 every six months for full coverage. When I lived in NY, I paid about $1200 every 6 months.

21. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Quick question, male or female?

If I were to purchase a Trans Am today, I'd probably wind up paying somewhere close the that NY rate that you quoted. Lot of it has to do with living in Southern California, where there's so many damn illegal immigrants driving around the freeways without insurance OR liscences that there's a big risk of getting hit. At least on the normal freeways.

Thank God for the toll roads. :bigthumb:

BTW, we looked at the Camaro yesterday, probably gonna go pick it up this next Tuesday. I will get pics. :cool:

22. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

If you have "little money" I think full coverage is more worth it. If he wrecks it on liability only, he's out a car.

23. StealthMode

97 Z28... and if I am gonna make payments I have to have full coverage... :sad2:
    I'm just going to pay for 6 months right away. One big lump sum is easier to swallow than having a real tight month an not make a payment.

24. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i got quoted little under $300 a month for a 01 WS6 6 speed:ugh2: ... witch is y i dont have one... i just drive my charger now and its like $110 a month fully covered up to 10k with a 500 deducable.

old skool is the way to go, No smog, low insurance, and respected...

25. StealthMode

My g/f's mom's b/f has a 74 Charger :cool:
    She said he's selling it possibly...for $14k :coolugh: Little more than I was wanting to spend :o