A&P Instructions on how to take photos of small things?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LisaYvette, May 30, 2009.

1. LisaYvette

LisaYvette New Member

I have a blog where people send me photos of dollhouse miniatures (1:12 scale models usually) and I put them up to show off to the world. Some of the stuff I get photos of is REALLY cool, but... the photos suck. They're fuzzy, unfocussed, or they have random crap in the background, and all sorts of really bad photography techniques like that. Some women sent me *scans* of their miniatures. As in they put their miniatures on a scanner. :ugh: Why would you do that?

I need a nice simple way to explain what I want, and how to create it. I think some people are daunted to even try. I wish I could show some links of photos that are the type of thing I receive (not my actual blog so I'm not spamming).

I don't want to encourage them to use light boxes, or get tripods or anything, but I do want some sort of decency here.

Help?

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

if they're really small tell them to try the macro function?

3. LisaYvette

LisaYvette New Member

Oh sorry I should have said that *I* know how to take reasonable (though not as good as some) photos of my miniatures, but its' other people who're doing it. I want to create a post that lists what they can do.
    Cool, I'll mention macro settings. How about for things that aren't absolutely tiny, (such as a 'room' that is about 12 inches long X 8 inches tall)? I keep getting those sent to me over exposed and argh. Basically I know what *I'm* doing, but I don't know how to explain it to these people who seem totally incompetent when it comes to digital photography. They seem incompetent at even noticing that their photos aren't good. I emailed back and forth with one lady once because she just could NOT see that her 'improved' photos just weren't good enough for the blog. She gave up and stopped emailing me back. :(

4. HaloZ

HaloZ New Member

reverse mounted lens with water drops and sparkles?

5. bntboz

bntboz ACME user text OT Supporter

:rofl:

6. johan

johan Active Member

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter