Instant Reboot...Just Add SP2!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Deus Ex Aethera, Sep 14, 2004.

1. My father has a computer he uses for digital music recording. Recently it's started to instantly reboot whenever he tries to open one of his music files.

He clicks File -> Open, picks a file, clicks the "OK" button, and BAM! it reboots. I don't know yet if other programs can open files without problems.

Shortly before the problem started occurring, I updated the Norton SystemWorks from 2002 to 2003, and he installed SP2.

Any ideas for problem or solution? Quickly, before he does something stupid out of frustration.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

try dumping sp2?

3. If I can. He's telling me that SP2 may have not successfully created an uninstaller for itself, and System Restore doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

SP2 changes a lot in Windows and Norton stuff generally sucks. I wouldn't be surprised it and older systemworks (2003) is mucking it up. Uninstall that shit and report back.

5. Nothing happens 'til this weekend, I'm afraid.

I've not been too pleased with Norton 2003, though I never had any problems with 2002. I only upgraded because I wanted to once again possess a legal copy of the product.

I'll let you know how it goes. First I have to talk him through undoing the System Restore that he tried, and then through uninstalling the shit of which you speak.

6. OmuCuSucu

OmuCuSucu Guest

well i for one heard of Symantec releasing a patch for their products to support SP2.
    ... dunno if it was for 2003 or 2004 though...

7. Sorry it took so long to post situation update.

I conferred with the sages at DigiDesign (digital recording company) and they said it was def. Service Pack 2.

So I walked my dad through undoing the System Restore and the automated Norton WinDoctor repair that he tried before calling me (NEVER let WinDoctor fix problems for you!), and then I had him uninstall SP2 and all is well again.

Three cheers for competent tech support!

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Good job on getting it back without a reload. :bigthumb:

And to all the people who said SP2 NEVER messed up a computer: :fawk2:

9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I'm still not using it on either of my XP machines.

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I had the same problem with DigiDesign and SP2 at work - fuck DigiDesign and their lame ass software -- they have a 4-5 page long list of components (hardware and software) that their equipment is incompatible with.

DigiDesign may have competent tech. support but their programmers are definately the opposite.

11. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

SP2 did something really wierd with my computer where it created a bunch of new mp3 files(i think because i never had any their sizes) in my my music folder with names something like Protected08.24.04.1827389172893
    and no matter what i tried i absolutely could not get to them or get the computer to get rid of them anything i tried
    the security center thing would just shut down my explorer whenver i tried to get in there
    so i went in through command prompt and deleted them by putting in DEL and then the name of all of them
    now it works fine :dunno:

12. Well, my dad's thrilled with his Digi 002 and the software that came with it. Then again, he doesn't use it on a professional basis. True, I had to make sure I didn't include any incompatible hardware, but that wasn't overly difficult. What problems have you had with it?