Installing windows XP.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4thgenceli, Jul 16, 2006.

1. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Ok.. here's a doozy. Dunno WTF I'm forgeting here.. (this is my 5th PC repair/install mind you).

Background:
    256meg RAM
    PIII processor (unsure on speed)

It's an older computer. It had windows xp on it before, but the HD grenaded. So I'm installing a new 40gig WD drive.

A whole slew of issues....

1) I can't access BIOS (The computer was made by IDM Corperation). I've tried DEL, F1, F2, F8, F12,F10,INS. None work. Upon boot up, it'll show the vid card info, POST, and then to the IDM Corp screen, and then bootup (from Floppy or HD). So I can't change BIOS to boot from CD first, then HD. Any other ways to get into BIOS? (I think this place is outta business now)

2). I'm able to use a win98 boot disc and get 98 up and running fine. When I throw in the XP Pro disc it'll start the install. Do the HCL checks, get product key, and copy files. After the file copy and reboot, it'll POST, show the IDM CORP screen, the display a screen that says "Verifying DMI Pool Data....." with a flashing cursor underneath the letter 'V'. That's it. Won't progress any further. I loose the 98 install, and have to reformat and reinstall 98 from the boot disc.

I guess my biggest thing is #2. WTF is that doing?! I've never had that take more than ~30sec.

2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

3. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Didn't work either ;)

I have a feeling it's something to do with the HDD controllers (win98 needed a updated driver for Primary IDE FIFO controller). I think that's it...gonna reinstall 98 and get it running flawlessly..should work then.

4. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

I hate working on old systems and trying to get current software to run on them. You always run into little qwerks...always! I'd just run linux on it and call it good. :o

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I wouldn't put XP on a PC that is suitable for 98. If it doesn't have 128 MB it may not even load.