Installing Windows XP home on a new hard drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KUfiredancer, Feb 19, 2006.

1. KUfiredancer

KUfiredancer Rock Chalk Jayhawk

a quick run down on the situation:
    my GF bought a new hard drive a few months ago and the person that installed it did not make it the master hard drive. so the operating system and some of her files are on the old HD. her old her drive is only 20 gigs, and the amount of data i have saved on the new HD is well over that.

my question:
    i cannot burn all of the files that are on the new HD to cd and then erase them from the hard drive because that would take too much time. and i also cannot move all the files on the new HD back to the old HD because it does not have enough storage. if i create a partition on the new HD and move all of the files onto that partition, can i install windows onto the empty part of the new HD without reformatting the whole HD and losing all of the data i just moved?

2. Hydrogen

Hydrogen building block

what is it you are trying to accomplish? everything on the new drive?

3. KUfiredancer

yeah, i want the new drive to be the master, and also put everything on that drive. eventually i plan to get rid of the old drive.

in short, my question is:
    if i install windows onto the new HD, will it delete everything on it, including any partitions. i know that all other data will be lost, but what i dont know is if it will delete the partition as well.

4. Optix

Optix New Member

Yes, you can..
    On the installation of Windows xp you must use the right one..

bye Optix

5. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

does the large HD have windows install on it now?

6. KUfiredancer

no, it does not have an OS on it right now. i have the windows xp upgrade, so i have to install windows 98 on it, then install the windows xp upgrade. if im not mistaken, windows 98 is set to reformat the drive that it is installed on. so when i install windows 98 on it, will it erase the partitions that i have on it, therefore deleting all of the data on the drive?

7. peerk

peerk New Member

With the XP upgrade it searches the hard drive for an older version of windows. If it does not find one, it will ask you to insert the older OS's cd to verify that you have it.

So you do not need to install 98 first. Just pop in the cd when XP setup asks for it. Oh, and it has to be an actual OS cd. Not a restore image from compaq, dell, etc.

8. KUfiredancer

that helps a lot. i didnt know that. i have an actual windows 98 disk somewhere, the one i am using now is a burned copy. anyone else have any more info?

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I dont know if this helps, but another possibility is to borrow a friends external HD, move all the stuff from your large drive onto the external, reformat your larger drive completely, then move everything back.

To me, that seems like a cleaner approach... but honestly i think its just me being anal. The suggestions above should work for you if thats the way you want to go.

10. KUfiredancer

i think i will have to go with your idea about the external hard drive. everything i have tried so far is not working. my brother has an external that i could probably use. for some reason, windows wont install. everytime i go through the installation process, when it reboots, it says there was an error loading the operating system. what does that mean?