Installing Windows on a laptop without a CD drive (noob question)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maximillion, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

So I got an old HP Omnibook 5700ct which is currently running Win 98. I'd now like to reinstall Windows from a CD or maybe install it on a second (bigger) formatted HDD.

Unfortunately the laptop doesn't have a CD drive so I'm not quite sure how to do it :hs: :wtc:

I read somewhere that you can install Windows over a network but I don't know what programs are needed to set one up after you formatted the disk. Also the network card is one of those pcmcia plug in cards :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ps. Would Win2k run on that notebook (P 166, 32mb ,2gb) [​IMG]

2. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

maybe it'd be easier just to buy an external CD drive? Would you ever need one anyways?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Stick with 98 on that laptop. I've installed it on 64 MB of RAM but it's dog slow. And with that old hardware - don't.

Anyway, you can install over the network. Your success will be determined on whether or not you have DOS drivers for that card - and if the drivers include PCMCIA support. Then get yourself a program like Ghost (because it's just that good) and you can make a boot floppy for it. If you don't have a floppy drive, you're pretty much hosed though.

4. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Computer/Processor 133 MHz or faster Pentium-compatible processor; supports up to four CPUs on one machine
    Memory 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended); 4 GB maximum
    Hard Disk 2 GB hard disk with 1 GB available hard-disk space; additional available hard-disk space is required if you are installing over a network
    Drive CD-ROM or DVD drive
    Display VGA or higher-resolution monitor.
    Peripheral Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device (optional); ensure that all system components are on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for Windows 2000 Server

There are some external drives for $45 shipped on pricewatch, but now that I think about it I don't even know if that laptop would have a USB drive. Doesn't look like you have enough ram, it says 128mb, 256 recommended.

5. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

Hm. I will try that with the second hard disk first to see if it works.

Thanks for the fast reply :bowdown: :bigthumb:

6. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

I'll see if I can get a cheap CD drive for the omnibook via ebay. Seems as if it would make things a lot easier :hs: