Installing Vista after an installation of GRUB, advice please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Hi, Just recently I installed XP onto my box, followed by Ubuntu. Whilst installing XP I created a third partition for Vista. Since the installation of Ubuntu, GRUB has been the boot loader overwriting the Windows one. Now, I want to install Vista onto the third, currently unused partition, but am unsure how this may be possible as I'm betting Vista will overwrite GRUB. Can this be done in a 'simple' way or is it just going to be easier to start all over again, and if so which order should the installation be done? 1st Vista 2nd Xp 3rd Linux ^This is my guess, but as it is a guess, may be completely wrong. Thanks all!

2. tikkun

tikkun New Member

There isn't a simple way to install Vista after installing XP and Ubuntu, you need to get down and work with bootloaders to do this. I've seen a blog post on how to do it, but the site is down. :wtc:

I did this on my machine by installing XP, then Vista, then Ubuntu. Vista allows itself to be dual booted with XP, and Ubuntu installs grub which can load either the windows bootloader (and choose between XP and Vista) or Ubuntu. Not pretty, but it's the easiest solution I've found.

Most of the steps to do this are below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=220452

It's a bit old, but it should do the job for you.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

you can reinstall grub back into the mbr. one way is to boot off a linux cd into "linux rescue" mode and issue a grub-install command.

4. [FKN-SIK]

[FKN-SIK] New Member

That's why you should install linux last. And set it up so that windows is the boot menu, with an option in the list for linux which then gets forwarded to the grub loader

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i disagree. I always install grub to the mbr and let it handle booting all my os's.