Installing System in Mazda v. what do i need to know

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dk01, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

Ok so I bought this:

Pioneer DEH-4900ib
    [​IMG]

and 4 of these:

Infinity Ref. 5022i's
    [​IMG]

For my 1992 Mazda Protege. I have never done my own system before and could possibly get an Infinity amp in the future. How easy is putting in the speakers myself? I have already purchased the wire harness and face harness along with an iPod connector. The receiver unit should be easy for me assuming the antenna cable will work with the unit. I am only worried about the speakers. How much trouble is taking out the old speakers? What about putting in the new ones. I know it varies car to car but can anyone give me some general steps I will have to take. Will I need anything else to use the new speakers on these old cables?

Thanks for helping out a car noobie! :wiggle:

2. dk01

no love? :(

3. slod16

slod16 New Member

Do you have any clue how to take the door panel off?? It's fairly easy. There's usually 3-4 screws that hold a door panel on. Usually 1 behind the inside handle. 1 in pocket and sometime below. Once you have the screws out you just have to pop the clips out. Be careful when you do this b/c you don't want to break those clips. Just go from one clip to the other, don't just try to rip it out. I don't know on Protege's if you have to take the rear deck lid out to put the rears in or if you can pop the speaker grills off.

4. dk01

I went and checked the back speakers. They should be very easy. I don't even have to pop anything off because the deck lid is already loose enough that I can get to the screws that hold the speakers in.

The door panel will probably have to come off upon inspection. I think I have found the screws to remove the panel so hopefully that goes well.

Here is an interesting little twist. For some reason my current head unit and cigarette lighter does not get power. I have replaced all the fuses as a precaution but still get nothing. Everything else electrical in the car works just fine. I don't know if this could be the cause but I lent my car to a friend once and he had to jump it. He isn't the greatest at that kind of stuff so its possible he connected the jumper cables incorrectly and fused a wire or something. Any ideas on things I could check to try and get power back? Also, what device would come in handy for checking the power in wires? What would be the best way to go about checking wires?

5. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

if worst comes to worst you may have to run a small 14 guage wire from the battery to behind your dash for power, fused of course.

6. mrj

mrj New Member

Skip rear speakers, buy some 6.5 components for the front, and an amp.

Rear speakers, unless the car is acoustically designed, will have no effect whatsoever on the sound stage the driver
    hears.