Installing Red Alert in Win2000

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Absolutnook, May 3, 2005.

1. Absolutnook

Absolutnook New Member

How can I get Red Alert Command and Conquer to work for Win 2000
    -
    I just found it at my parents place. Is a great game, but, I'm having trouble installing it.

Also, is there any software I should check out ... for RedAlert and Aftermath? I saw some downloadable maps, and like new equip

2. ThinkTANK

ThinkTANK New Member

people still play that game?

3. 01000101

01000101 New Member

i like red alert 2 the best, and the yuri expansion is decent too

if you can find it, theres an editor for red alert. if memory serves, it was called alchemist

4. SFLegend

SFLegend .

Search for Red Alert at ntcompatible. I got it to work once, but the sound didn't work properly.

5. Absolutnook

Absolutnook New Member

thanks, and I'll see if I can find that alchemist extension

6. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

if it's about cajoling the installer to run, try creating a link to the setup.exe and then playing with the compatibility tab in its properties. Some of those oldschool installshield installers were set up to detect an NT based OS and refuse to install because NT 4.0 did not have the api support needed for the game (or because the installer itself could not run on NT or was simply scripted poorly to begin with). If running the game exe brings up a box saying 'this game requires windows 95' or 'this game will not run under windows NT', then that compat tab might help here. Even if that gets the game running, you might still have performance issues due to the differing ways win9x and NT handle threading, I/O scheduling etc.

I believe the compatibility add-on was a hotfix, but was then later bundled in with either sp3 or 4. Make sure you've got that installed.