installing radeon 9200

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gene wilder, Aug 14, 2006.

1. gene wilder

gene wilder you cant run

one of my friends has a really old computer, so i decided to let him have my old radeon 9200 which after looking at his computer is an upgrade suprisingly, but i am not sure exactly how to install it, the graphics card he has now is on the motherboard (i think, i am not that great at computers) so i thought i would just put in the graphics card and then connect the monitor to that, but it didnt work, when i replaced my graphics card i think i had a disc to run at the startup of windows, but i dont have any software for the radeon 9200, so does anyone know what i need to do? or is it impossible?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If his old VGA card was built into the motherboard, then you need to do this:

1. Connect the monitor to the ONBOARD VGA port.
    2. Boot up and go into the BIOS.
    3. Turn off the onboard VGA.
    4. Save changes and reboot.
    5. Connect the monitor to the Radeon 9200.

If it works, go to www.ati.com and download the latest version of Catalyst THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE 9200. The 9200 is old enough now that the latest version of Catalyst doesn't support it; you'll have to find out what the most recent compatible version is. After you download it, install it and reboot again.

Report back with any further problems.

3. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Download the driver software. Remove the onboard video driver. Shut down the PC. Install the new video card with the monitor still connected to the onboard card. Boot and it'll pick up the onboard card again. Let that install. If it doesn't automatically install the driver you need to use the software you downloaded. When the 9200 is installed, reboot and connect the monitor to the ATI card.

4. gene wilder

gene wilder you cant run

sorry i am not very good with computers, so i dont understand these steps
    2. Boot up and go into the BIOS.
    3. Turn off the onboard VGA.

(i already have all the drivers he needs which are compatible)

i know that sometimes when you put in new hardware something pops up saying that it recognizes it, but when i put the card in, it seemed that the computer didnt even know that there was a video card in
    (i know that the card is in the right spot, and that it is completely in)

5. gene wilder

gene wilder you cant run

i still havent been able to figure it out, can someone explain those two steps to me

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When you turn on the computer, there should be a message telling you to press F2 or Delete or some other key to get into the BIOS Setup program. Do that, and then look around for settings that have something to do with the onboard VGA. You might disable the onboard VGA by reducing its dedicated memory to zero, or by changing a simple On/Off setting. You'll have to look around a bit.

Don't touch anything if you don't know what it does.