Installing OS with no CD & without reformatting hard drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I have kind of a challenge here. I'm wondering if there is any way to do a fresh install of XP Pro without an XP CD, and if I can install it without reformatting the drive.

I have Win XP running on my current system, installed on a 16 gb drive, but no XP CD (yes, the OS is legit, but I lost the CD). I want to install XP on my other hard drive to use in the new system I'm building.

All my data and apps (besides the OS) are currently stored on my second drive, an 80 gb, which I want to use as the only drive in the new system. I don't have an easy way to back up everything that's currently on it, which is why I want to install XP on it without reformattng it that's at all feasable.

A new XP CD isn't in my budget, and anyway, buying it again would be stupid when I already own it... is there anything I can do, i.e. transferring it from my 16 gb drive somehow? :dunno:

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

You need the cd and you have to reformat your new hard drive. Only way of transferring your stuff from your old hard drive is set it to slave and your new one on master and transfer it like that, once you have xp on it.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Assuming there's enough free space on the 80GB drive, you could use Parition Magic to shrink the existing partition and move the one containing Windows into the free space. The problem is when you try to boot that copy of Windows on the new motherboard, its going to blue screen. If you had the CD, you could boot from it and repair the existing Windows but you need the CD for that. You asking how you can paint a car with no paint and no sprayer. Not going to happen.

4. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Pretty much what I figured... thanks for the confirmation though. :hs:

5. Chase

Chase Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck yo

Do you still have the CD key for XP? Just use a friends CD but use your serial?

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Good idea. Look for a program called AIDA32 on the net. It will show your your CD key. You can use any CD as long as its the exact same version (ie. XPHome OEM, XPPro upgrade, XPPro SP1OEM, etc.)

7. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Ah, I'll try that program, I have no idea what the CD key is. Thanks. :big grin:

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

If you have a prebuilt machine with factory installed OS you most likely have a directory at the root of the boot drive with the install files for the OS. Windows XP is usually copied into the i386 directory (to check run setup in that directory and you should get something about using control panel to add components). Reboot into Command Prompt only, goto this directory and run setup, install to a new directory and life is good. (Make sure you have the CD key)

9. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

To get the CD key, you can try Rock XP: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html

It has the bonus that you can save the activation file too, so you don't have to reactivate (!).

The odd thing about Windows XP is that it ties to hardware, which means that technically, it's tied to whatever computer you install it on. E.g., if you install it on one PC, then buy another, and decide to scrap it on the first, you *still* have to buy a second copy of Windows XP. If you try to install an OEM copy on a second machine, and the hardware hash doesn't match, it'll fail at activation.

10. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

you dont have to buy a new copy..you just call microsoft (when you fail they give you the # on the screen to dial) and they fix it. i called them at 11:30pm one time and got my new code. the chick sounded cute too :bigthumb:

11. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

Well, since you DID pay for the key, you could just download it from a p2p and use your original key.

I doubt its illegal if you already own a legit copy of it.

Just make sure you recover your cd key before formating.

XP Corp rules :bigthumb: