Installing MySQL on Mac OS X for use with PHP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ez4me2c3d, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

How to do eet?

Frigg'n aye man. I tried the binary install, and it seemed like it worked. But when I try a simple connection in PHP, I get an ugly error message of:
    Code:
    Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /Library/WebServer/Documents/index.php on line 19
    Could not connect: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    Research showed it was a lack of a socket file. Researched it up, found nothing that helped. Do I create it? Is it already created? Who knows? You'd think a binary install file would take care of this!!

Then I found this: http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/osdb.html
    but I wasn't able to follow the "Quick install Instructions" for some of the commands are not available under Mac OS X. You'd think the apple guy that published that document would have known that!!

So. Whose done it? And how do I fix my messy installs so that I can get back on track?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

did you use the version of php which comes with os-x? i use entropy's package and it works fine....

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

looks like MySQL isn't even running and this can be from a few different issues.

1.) Make sure you actually tried to start the service.
    2.) If you started it, check the MySQL log for errors on startup
    3.) A common problem is that the mysql user doesn't have access to the /var/mysql folder. You need to give that user (or whatever user you are running mysql with) ownership of that folder, with write permissions.

4. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

5. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

6. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

this issue rings a bell and i *think* it is a known issue with the pre-installed mySQL binary on OS X. i wish i could remember the solution though...try logging into mySQL via the Terminal and it will (probably) give you an error message. Google for a chunk of that message in quotes and I believe you will find a knowledge-base sort of article on mySQL's site...I think it might have been something as simple as copying something into your /Library/StartupItems, but I really don't recall the specifics

7. datboiwilly

datboiwilly OT Supporter

MAMP works great. I had trouble with installing PHP/MySQL/Apache on Windows and found XAMPP. Got my Macbook and found MAMP by accident. The widget is convenient also

8. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member