installing Linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Jul 2, 2003.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

I am going to be buying a new hard drive and Linux for a PII 350. Since the hard drive will not have any other OS on it will I have any trouble setting up and installing Linux? I plan to buy the basic Linux 9 (not pro). This will be my first time interacting with Linux so I have no idea what to expect.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

By Linux 9, I am assuming you mean Red Hat 9. If you have a high spped internet connection you can just download the CD Imgaes that you would be paying for and can save yourself some money.

Other than that I wish you best of luck and if you have any questions be sure to post them up.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  3. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Since you're a Linux noob, you'll probably want a book and all the intro/intermediate books on RedHat I saw at Barnes and Noble had CDs included.

5. MP

MP New Member

If you can just DL it from linuxiso.org or redhat.com It'll save ya some money. It's really not very hard to install and use. Just take your time and read everything. You'll be fine.

6. bal

bal New Member

you shouldn't have any problems running linux. it's a great experience learning everything yourself however. however linux may not recognize certain hardware on your machine (like it does not recognize my cinemaster hardware dvd decoder card).

7. BaZ

BaZ 2004 ACC Champions

hahaha buying linux? definately a n00b

8. quzur

quzur Active Member

I work for a computer reseller so I can get it for cost...I dont think spending $30 is a big deal if I dont have to download 3 600mb files. Plus then I would get tech support for installing it.

9. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

The dual boot process is quite simple now. Install Windows first (leaving free space on your drive for Linux) and then install Linux. In the RedHat install, you'll get to the boot area and RH will detect your Windows install. You can set the boot label and default OS right there. Once you complete the install, you'll reboot to a screen asking which OS you'd like to boot. Quite nice. :cool:

10. aznboi320

aznboi320 OT Supporter