installing HDDs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by smokin_j, Nov 7, 2004.

1. smokin_j

smokin_j New Member

installing HDD

I just installed a 2nd HDD, and I was wanting to know if I should space them apart because of heat, or can they sit next to each other. They both fit perfect under the floppy drive. Should I also be careful if adding more hard drives later because of heat in the case?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's probably a good idea to space them out, since it'll disperse the heat better and maybe increase the life of the drives. However, if you don't have any other options, it's fine to have them right together.

3. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

As long as you have sufficient case cooling fans, you'll be fine. As I've seen, most cases don't allow you too much space inbetween the 3.5" slots. I suppose the only means to space them out would be to buy a full tower and only have a few of the 5.25" and 3.5" slots used. Don't see the point in that, though. Just make sure you've got enough cooling fans.

4. DemisE

DemisE Active Member

I always leave at least one 3.5 slot open between harddrives when installing them in my rig. Here are some examples.

[​IMG]

I didn't really have a choice in this case with the drive seperation due to the power requirements of the video card. But as a general rule I space the drives and put them where the front case fans will be giving them plenty of air. Here is another thing I use if you have some open 5.25 bays open. Although they are a little more expensive I prefer to use these for my IDE drives as they keep the drives cool and are easy to swap.

[​IMG]