installing HD enclosure

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by aballas, Jan 14, 2006.

1. aballas

aballas New Member

I just bought a hard drive enclosure for my old notebook's hd, and i'm trying to get my iBook to recognize it.

The enclosure says it's compatible with Mac, but the manual doesn't explain anything for Mac users, and when I plug the hard drive into the iBook nothing happens except the red led on the enclosure comes on and the hard drive starts spinning....

it came with a driver installation cd, but nothing on there appears to be for Mac....any ideas?

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Try running Disk Utility to format the drive in that Journal format Apple uses.

3. aballas

aballas New Member

it doesn't even recognize that there's a drive connected though.....

plus I don't want to format it b/c I'm trying to rescue some data..... the mobo on my old laptop went, and this is my only way of recovering my data without having to pay some tech-support person

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Try starting from the system CD and running Disk Utility from there. If that recognizes the drive you can make an image of it from there.

Also, plug the enclosure into another computer to make sure it's working correctly. Sounds like it's getting power fine, but maybe a jumper or something is wrong.

5. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I hate hate hate that I have to eject it everytime or risk losing data :mad:

6. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

QFT

7. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

as for the first question.....check your jumpers! Make sure it is on master and not slave

8. aballas

aballas New Member

it is most definitely on master...first thing i checked....

the HDD should be fine too....it's almost brand new...I put it in there about 2 months before my mobo went...I'm going to try it on another computer tomorrow, hopefully it's not that.

I'm going to try booting from cd, and running disk util from there....i'll check back in a few

9. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I think that's because of Spotlight indexing it.

I have a standard HD from my PC when I switched I keep in an external FW enclosure (cheapo $30 one). I occasionally have the problem where if I eject it or turn it on after I've booted the computer it will lock up the system. My solution is that I just keep it on all the time instead of shutting it off w/the computer when done.

I know some of the 2.5" laptop enclosure will pull power right from the port to power the drive. Maybe it's an issue of it not getting enough power?

10. aballas

aballas New Member

it includes a "power booster" cable that hooks the power supply port up to an additional usb port....that along with the normal usb cable should be enough power for it.....still not recognized though

11. Skoles

Skoles Guest

You could just have a enclosure then. Probably the board they put in there.

12. aballas

aballas New Member

yeah.....looks like i'm sending it back to tigerdirect.....the enclosure cost me $15...and the packing job they did with the board was horrible.....they just let the board move around freely inside the enclosure with nothing to protect it...(not tigerdirects fault....seems like the manufacturers).

*edit* just got off the phone with the manufacturers they said it sounds like the enclosure is defective...so now they're sending me a new one...hopefully this one works...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  13. aballas

aballas New Member

ok...my replacement enclosure is being shipped now....should have it by tomorrow...this better be resolved....

14. aballas

aballas New Member

got the replacement today, and it works fine...recovered all my data, then formatted it for Journaling.....

thanks for all your help guys...

i'm glad I was able to recover all my digital pics, and music.....