installing different OS on different partition

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoostedBoogie, Aug 15, 2004.

1. i have a dell c600 laptop and have xp installed. however most of my hardware i bought and the modem on this laptop isn't compatible with XP and there are no drivers that i can find.

would it be possible to install win2000 on the same laptop and select which OS to boot at startup? my friend said he suggests (without formatting) to install 2000 on a different partition. not sure how to do that. i would like to try to do this without having to reformat first.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Well, you don't have to install on a different partition - I think you'll actually have more luck if you install on the SAME partition. Assuming your laptop came from dell with XP installed you probably only have 1 partition right now - the only way to spawn 2 from it is to format and start over.

If you install 2 (or more) versions of windows on the same partition you will have the choice of startup everytime you turn the computer on.

You just want to make sure you don't install in the same directory - XP uses C:\Windows, I think 2000 might too, so rename it to C:\WinNT.

3. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Generally, you do NOT want to install different OSs on the same partition. And formating will not create new partitions, just wipes the existing one. With the right software, you can resize a partition to make room for a new one, but I just delete and start fresh. Once a partition is created, it has to be formated to be able to take data.

4. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

:uh:

1. PLEASE do not install two OS's on one partition, you're asking for so much trouble. Especially WinXP and Win2000.

2. You do not need to format your drive to create a new partition. Programs like Partition Magic or Acronis Partition Expert allow you to create and resize partitions without data loss.

3. Once you've created a new partition, pop in your bootable Win2000 CD and install on the fresh partition. Once finished, you might need to modify the boot.ini file to allow you to select which OS to boot when your computer starts up.

5. hm thanks for the replies. ill try out those programs. basically what i'll be doing is making a new partition and size it just enough to have 2000 installed, then use 2000 to boot and it can access my main files that i want to access? should i expect any conflict problems with drivers, ini files, etc stuff like that?

btw this dell c600 came originally with 2000 i believe.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You should try forcing the windows 2000 drivers in XP first - I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

7. well for the modem, there's already the driver for win2000 installed on there and it doesn't work.

8. Bhaive_01

Bhaive_01 .

omg, yea... they will try to use each others OS files(dat files , doc & setting, winnt..etc..) if they are on the same part.

I agree with ----------> DanIdentity nice explanation

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but