installing car alarm, confused w/ elec. symbols

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by My Dixie Wrecked, Oct 14, 2004.

1. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

Anyone know where I can find a legend for electronic symbols? Looking at the wiring diagram for my alarm and don't know what a few are. Or mabye someone can help me if i post a pic of the diagram :x:

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

most commen circuit schematic symbals
    [​IMG]

resister values, and thier colors
    [​IMG]

also remember these values (PIER):
    P = Watts
    I = Amps
    E = Volts
    R = Resistance (ohms)

use this wheel to find the missing value you are looking for in the center.
    [​IMG]

if you have any questions on certain laws (Kerchefs, Ohms, ect) let me know.

3. My Dixie Wrecked

[​IMG]

i'm guessing 1 is a light
    2 and 3 i'm not sure

and the door lock diagram, i hook the 12V up to battery or the 12V on the main 5 pin harness :dunno:

4. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

1. is a light

2. looks like a pin switch (like what you have on your doors, or sometimes your hood.), that is run through the ground wire.

3. is a 12v constant power source, run through a 15amp fuse. The symbol you marked is supposed to be the battery, though they are not using a standard symbol.

for your door locks, you can probably use the same line used for your #5 pin on the main harness just to save wire and clean it up, though I would route it BEFORE your fuse.

who makes this alarm system? They are using a wierd combination of standard and non standard symbols, wich makes it a little hard to understand. I would write them back and tell them to use standard symbols and write better directions.

5. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

and this is why we used DEI brand alarm systems

6. My Dixie Wrecked

autopage alarm

it's confusing as fuck. i've installed a keyless entry before using a cheap ebay system. like next to the lights theres 12V wires connected to ground wires by the big ass black dots. i guess there's suppose to be some kind of relay there? i have no clue what the positive or negative door pin switches are :dunno:

i doubt they'd tell me anything since the manual says authorized dealers only.

7. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

what kind of car is this going in? what do you have hooked up? what dont you have hooked up? what options are you looking to use that this alarm provides?

the stores i used to manage used autopage for a short time, it will be easier to help you better if you let us know what your looking to accomplish and what you already have that works.

is this your first alarm? its ok to be honest and say it is, and if it is at least you realize that you need help are willing to ask for it.

i also dealt with dei, (viper) and while they are one of the most solid companies out there they are hardly perfect.

8. My Dixie Wrecked

i've never installed a car alarm, but have installed a keyless entry system. I havent installed anything yet, i'd prefer to do everything at once. doing the door locks isn't gonna be a problem, just parts of the 5 pin and 6 pin harnesses. also i need to know how many more relays i need to get. i dont want to screw up my cars electrical system.

this is for a '96 ford thunderbird. pretty much all i want is keyless entry and alarm to deter punk ass kids from messing with my car or busting out a window to jack my head unit.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

an alarm will not deter punk ass kids from messing with your car or busting out your window to jack your head unit...

they just don't work like that.

10. My Dixie Wrecked

so what's the purpose of an alarm then?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not really much purpose, imho... I still have an alarm (factory-equiped) but if someone wants to steal your car/stereo/whatever then they're going to...

Most tow-truck drivers either were at one point, or at least know how to bypass alarms. One showed me how it only takes about 10 seconds and you can drive off.