installing a new hood

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bromide, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bromide

bromide New Member

Somehow while I was driving yesterday I put a nice sized dent in the hood of my girlfriend's dodge stratus. i am thinking about buying a new hood from a distributer and installing it myself, but want to first make sure it is not too hard of a project.

i have experience installing simple motor parts, starter, alternator, radiator, etc. but never any body parts. i understand i'll probably need at least one other person to help with the bulkiness of a hood, but is it really that difficult?

also, if it is a doable project, approx. how much paint should i order from the dealer to cover a hood?

thanks!

2. Rich

Rich New Member

Not difficult. Will probably take less than an hour.

3. bromide

bromide New Member

is there much work in correctly aligning, or should that not be a problem if i leave the old hinges on and the old hood is correctly aligned?

4. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

Seat the hood on the hinges and loosely secure it with the bolts. If you need more room to close the gaps just widen the holes to allow room to shift.

If you get an aftermarket one a lot won't come with washer holes drilled.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Lining it up correctly takes more time than actually bolting it in place. Last time I installed a hood (after pulling the 350 out of a Cutlass and swapping in a 455) it took me about 20 minutes to line it up correctly.

6. bromide

bromide New Member

well, i installed it saturday, lined it up fine and everything. took maybe 30 minutes. unfortunately, the accident moved the driver-side bumper about .25-.5 of an inch, so the latch doesn't match up. i'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow for an estimate to pull it back out.

:mad: it didn't look like it shifted the bumper at all.

7. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

it takes ten seconds to use the right amount of strength or right number of wacks from a mallot to line the latch up correctly....if its out of line side to side then youre screwed

8. bromide

bromide New Member

egh, i just had the shop do it. 200 bucks, and someone to blame if it doesn't work properly. (which is does so far)