Installing a new HDD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex__, Dec 9, 2007.

1. alex__

alex__ New Member

Hi,
    Like all things that involve technology, my parents instantly think i can solve their problems! Not only does this annoy the shit outta me, but it is completely untrue.. So my problem is this. My dad has a new computer that uses a SATA HDD, he wants his old HDD that is an IDE one to work so he can still access his music, files etc.
    My attempts have been pretty bad, to start, I set the IDE drives as the HDD being that master, and the optical as the slave. And then there is the other drive (SATA) that is a master in itself. When i goto mycomputer in windows it only shows the SATA drive and not the other HDD that is connected. I know that it is connected becasue i can see the drive registering in the BIOS, and in device manager. Completely stumped, and my dad's naggin is starting to irritate me!

Help would really be appreciated, probly something simple. Thanks in advance.

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Did you look in computer management to see if the ide drive shows up??

Maybe go buy a cheap usb enclosure and make it an external drive for him. :dunno:

3. etech

etech New Member

Try this.
    Use an 80 pin cable and set them both to cable select.

4. alex__

alex__ New Member

yeah ill give it a go. has anyone been in the same situation as me and done it successfully tho?

5. etech

etech New Member

I just did it today,

Sata hard drive as the master, new install.

Old pata drive hooked up on the IDE cable(master) with the DVD drive on the slave. Both set to cable select. Worked fine after I remembered to plug the damn power cord into it.

Wives should be banned from talking when their husband is putting a computer together.