GUN Installed a Vanek Trigger on my 17 this weekend (PICS)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

This went in my Glock 17, which is going to be my dedicated competition gun for USPSA Production division next season.

The Vanek Classic Trigger Kit (www.vanekcustom.com) is Charlie's Production legal drop-in kit.
    Comes with:
    -Modified 3.5 lb Connector
    -Modified Trigger Bar
    -Modified Firing Pin Safety Plunger
    -Modified Spring Cups
    -Trigger Housing with Over-Travel Stop (preset)
    -Springs

[​IMG]

Old(top) vs New(bottom). Can you tell he's done some polishing?
    [​IMG]

Old(right) vs New(left) Firing Pin Safety Plunger. Polished, looks like some material taken off the top of the plunger, and a much lighter spring
    [​IMG]

Old(right) vs New(left) Spring Cups. Hard to tell from the pic but the modified cups have channels cut in the rim, similar to the OEM marine spring cups. These are a bastard to install unless you have tiny fingers.
    [​IMG]

While I was at it I also assembled and installed a Wolff non-captive steel guide rod & Wolff 14lb recoil spring.
    [​IMG]

Results... drastically smoother pull with a much crisper break and no overtravel to speak of. I stuck with the OEM weight striker spring to make sure it will reliably pop WWB primers, so while the pull is noticeably lighter it is not as light as it could be. If I ever start hand-loading 9mm I'll swap in the lighter striker spring.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Very nice, I've got the the Master Kit in my Glock 24.

Good idea on retaining your stock striker spring, although you really don't get the full effect. If you try it with the reduced striker it almost makes all the difference in the world. But again, when you are on the line, you don't want to have to worry about light strikes. On those lightening quick stages like "Can you count" or "El Presidente" you can easily throw a COF with a couple of bad light strike issues and just kills your momentum as you may know and almost guarantee you getting less than %30 on the stage.

I run Federal Match primers "excluesively" with my Vanek triggered Glocks with reduced power strikers, they are much softer. I've also had success with the MagTech primers as well, they almost seem softer. Only problems with the Federal are they are a little more finicky reloading and you have to pay more attention to your primer pockets, because they get so soft they can hang up on debri in the chamber pocket and go in sideways.

That said, I think Vanek kits are the standard to measure all by in the Glock trigger world. Charlie knows Glock trigger like Rosie knows how to eat.