installation prices?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Best Served Cold, Sep 10, 2004.

1. how much will it usually cost (general area) to get a CD player put into my car? i already have one that i pulled out of my old car, and was wondering if audio places will charge you more for installation if you dont buy the product from them?

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Installation is anywhere from 30-50 bucks in labor. Most places will charge you for a wiring harness and mounting kit, that could be anywhere from 10-35 bucks.

T

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

most places labor charge is double, when you don't buy the product from them... since you're not really their customer, and it is tying up their shop... but this is the slow season, so they may be happy to see you. labor could be 35 to 60ish, parts anywhere from 25 to 180 depending on the make year and model of your car.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Money is money, I do not know of one shop that charges more to install something not purchased at the shop. The "markup" or gross margin of labor and parts in an install bay is outrageous and shop owners realize it. Every shop owner or install manager I know loves taking jobs from the outside.

T

5. ok thanks a lot guys for the info

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

you must know shops that are like CC and BB, with a heard of guys standing around waiting for something to come in. if a shop does a install on something they did not sell, then that's tying up the shop for something they could sell to the next customer... meaning they'll have to turn their customer away to help someone elses customer... meaning that person will leave and become someone elses customer. when it's slow, a real shop will welcome outside work... but when it's busy, they'll turn it away. now for installer point of veiw... outside work is better, since the shop charges twice the regular labor they get paid more as well... just the shop loses twice, since the 1. did not sell the products 2. lose the bay for the time used, to help someone elses customer.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004