Install help (n00b)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Jan 7, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I just traded a dusty Jackson guitar for 2 10" subs. They are Kicker CompVR 4ohm dual voice coil subs. Each is 300 watts max.

Tomorrow I am getting a 600 watt amp. No idea what else it entails, most likely integrated crossover I guess. Friend is bringing it to work I'll find out then.

I am planning on spending $60-80 on a sealed dual 10" box. Basic low-budget carpeted box nothing fancy.

What else to I need to install this setup completely? It's going in my Altima, in the trunk. Recommendations? I know I need wiring..but what kind? How much? Kinda clueless...

EDIT: Also read that because it's dual voice coil...it can be wired for either 2 ohm or 4 ohm resistance. What's the difference? What would you recommend? What does that change as far as sound? Wil it effect the amp?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

what kind of amp? if it's a typical $200 600w amp, then 8 ga kit will be fine. if it's a ballsy mono amp, go for the 4 ga. i'll post a wiring diagram of how to set those subs up for 4 ohm mono on a 2 ch amp

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hey thanks, that helps alot.

So if i walk into cartoys and ask about a 4 or 8gauge wiring kit they shouldn't look at me funny right?

got no idea on the amp. i'll post back after i pick it up. he just said it was 600 watts, and he used it before with these speakers.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

nah, they should hook you right up. get the amp first tho.

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I have two AudioBhan DVC 10s, one voice coil's negative term goes to the other voice coil's positive term(same speaker), that one speaker runs off one channel of the amp. The other channel on the amp runs the other sub wired the same way. I have a 2000 watt amp though . . .

2 ohm vs 4 ohm wont make a difference in sound, the power the amp puts out will be effected. If the load it too low you can fry the power supply in the amp. Not all amps will do 2 ohms so check your's. I'm pretty sure mine is setup for 4 ohms the way it is now, I'ld have to get out an ohm meter and actually test it to be sure.

If your head unit has a sub out use that, my Boss Audio head unit has one and it sounds worlds better then the rear out we were using before. I needed a splitter to get the output into both channels on my setup. also my amp wiring kits have never come with the speaker wire. You'll want something good there too, believe it or not the Scoshe (sp??) stuff at Walmart is pretty good. I've seen guys use large guage power cable to run their subs but that's overkill in this situation.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I have a shitty Sony HU. But it has both rear-out and sub-out :) I'm looking at all kinds of wiring right now, probably get a wiring harness at cartoys and i'll look at walmart for the Scoshe stuff.

EDIT: Oh and I went to work today and the guy didn't show up. He's having family/marriage problems so I'm not gonna give him shit, 3rd time he's not coem into work this week. Guess I'll hope on tomorrow.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Just pick up the amp kit while at cartoys. The wal-mart shit is the scosche "bottom of the barrell, we just threw the shit in a blister pack to satisfy the Waltons" stuff. spend the extra $20 on a decent kit and it should include RCAs, power, ground, and speaker wires. Rockford makes a nicer kit, but it's around $50. You can also look into the Scosche or Tsunami (Metra brand) kits. They are pretty decent. One of the best inexpensive amps that would actually do near 600w was the Kenwood KAC-829 (or older models) Or something newer: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=42&k3=155&pr=2381

rated at 1 ohm stable, and will do about 600w max. The reason I'm recommending the Kenwood stuff, is it seems that you aren't real big on spending $700+ on a higher end sub amp, in case you're wondering.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:squint: :fawk: for replying before I could get my shit in.

:mamoru:

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well he's giving it to me for free. The trade was originally 2 subs, but when he saw my guitar I guess he felt like it was worth throwing in an amp too?

Anyways I work at 2. Hopefully he is in today.