SRS Inspiring article I'd like to share: Let go out the past and look toward the future..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NormanNormal, Oct 10, 2006.

1. NormanNormal

NormanNormal Where it all ends I can't fathom, my friends...

This one is very well written I decided to save it and share it with you guys. Maybe someone can get something out of it. A lot of peoples problems/depression/etc occurs because we tend to dwell on the past. Here is the article:

----------

Nostalgia imbues the past with a magical and romantic quality. It draws us like iron to a magnet, especially where there is no hurt or regret involved. The good old day’s is a favorite phrase, memory lane a well-worn path.

For those of us yet to actualize our dreams, the past seems much better than the present. Things seem to be getting progressively worse. If we could board a time machine and go back in time, most of us would take a leave of absence and go live in the past. Maybe even quit the present, sell off our “assets” and say goodbye to today. Sadly, figuratively lots of folks are.

In reality, things get better with time. There is a human tendency to glamorize the past, the days of our grand parents etc. we admit the dead into sainthood, all their flaws or mistakes forgotten or forgiven. Speak no ill of the dead. Speak no ill of the past…

No matter how glorious we think our past was, to enter the future, we have to let go of the past. We cannot embrace both at the same time. Try to go forward and backwards at the same time. You remain stuck in the same position. No matter what place the past holds in our hearts, nostalgia or regret, it is time to say goodbye. It is time to let go, and move on…

There is nothing wrong with going down memory lane. There are lessons to learn, things to discover and analyze, and benefit of hindsight to glean from. These are events, moments in time when you look back and evaluate, for the purpose of applying the lessons and findings in aid of your present quest. After all said and done, it is time to simply move on. We have to let go of the past, and embrace the future.

The major pitfall in falling in love with the past is that we stand the risk of pitching our tent there, and ending our journey right there, especially at the site where our last attempt failed. Like a traveler that ended his journey at a roadway in, we allow past issues to dominate our present, effectively crowding out the future…

Time can be split into three segments; past, present and future. Our minds handle these in three ways.

It remembers/re-plays the past
    It analyses the present
    It imagines/pre-play the future.

If we overload our minds with the past, it has no room to analyze the present or imagine/pre-play the future, which holds the key to our journey.

The past is gone forever. It can never happen again or come back, no matter how much we wish it or keep replaying it. The cast of characters that made up our past have all grown, moved on, and some are dead. We cannot re-assemble that cast again. The best-planned school reunions cannot make you guys teenagers again. You can only do make believe. Let go of your past. It is a waste of time clinging to it. Face reality.

There is no time like the present. Our past produced this present. We can still do something about the present, and determine what happens tomorrow, today. Most cause and effect cycles are short term to long term. It may take some time before we begin to see results. There are things that can take immediate effect, but they are precious few. That is why nothing worthwhile comes easy. If you attempt to take a shortcut, you abort process and cut yourself short.

The future belongs to those who can see tomorrow, those who use their God given gift of imagination to pre-play the future. The future begins today. That is why today is very important. The seeds of tomorrow are sown today. No seedtime, no harvest. It is a simple law of nature that cannot be violated no matter who you are, peasant or heir apparent.

You can make a difference today. That is why you need to focus on the present and future. One cannot make much progress by driving with your eyes focused on the rear view mirror. You will end up in a ditch, or hit something. You become an accident waiting to happen.

Forgetting about the past may involve forgiveness. Forgiving those who hurt or wronged you. Most of all, forgive yourself for past blunders. The major culprit in past blunders is you. Beating ourselves up for past blunders is a favorite past time for most of us. We need to forgive ourselves, give ourselves a second chance, so that we can move on.

Forgiveness brings healing and restoration to emotions and relationships. It clears us of lots of emotional baggage and garbage that we have been carrying about. It sets you free to face current issues. Forgive and move on…

Forget about your past failures. Learn the lessons and begin again. Forget about past victories. Leverage on it and move on higher. Forget about past hurts, forgive and press on. Look forward. Free your mind to see the future, and work/walk towards it in the present. Say goodbye to yesterday…

When you finally cross the finish line, you can afford the luxury of looking back again, with a grateful heart. Let me leave you with an old classic…

Lord,
    Give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    Courage, to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference…

2. smithers

smithers OT Supporter

3. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

*sings and skips around* Yesterday is gone forever, tomorrow will never be here so live for todayyy! :)

4. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

I think there are so many people that need to take the time to read this. It does provoke the mind and gets the mind moving in the right direction... if your willing to move and take action.

Yes, it can be hard and many people slide into that 'comfort zone'... some deeper than others. It does take some self-pushing to get out of it and nobody can get out if for you, unless something drastic happens that forces you out of it, which can also be the case.

5. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

6. NormanNormal

wow im really glad someone was able to get something from this thread.

cvgwpg... you are exactly the correct. I competely agree about the "comfort zone" idea. Its entirely true...

Guys get this, ironicly enough just as I was typing this reply the song "time" by pink floyd came on the radio. here are the lyrics:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine
    Staying home to watch the rain
    And you are young and life is long
    And there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find
    Ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run
    You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again
    The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter
    Never seem to find the time
    Plans that either come to nought
    Or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desparation is the English way
    The time is gone
    The song is over
    Thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
    I like to be here when I can
    When I come home cold and tired
    It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
    Far away across the field
    The tolling of the iron bell
    Calls the faithful to their knees
    To hear the softly spoken magic spells

7. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

was a good read, thx for posting

8. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

good stuff

9. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

I know i'm correct. I read about this stuff and enjoy learning more about personal growth and development. Change is hard and taking the steps that you need to take are challenges. For some it does take longer than others. I am blessed to be where I am in life, we should always be content where we are. Yeah, I know I should be a lot farther ahead than where I am now, but I'm working on it. As long as we make a plan and actually follow it, we can acheive things. It is quite easy to get distracted in the process.

10. Pringles

Pringles New Member

You can make a difference today. That is why you need to focus on the present and future. One cannot make much progress by driving with your eyes focused on the rear view mirror. You will end up in a ditch, or hit something. You become an accident waiting to happen.

I thought that was nice.

And thank you.

11. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Here's another deep thot from CW...

"For every one mile of road, there's two miles of ditch."

12. Ronald McFondle

Ronald McFondle Hey gook, just listen

13. Sonick

Sonick New Member

:bigthumb:

I know some people who could reallyuse reading this.

14. derivative

derivative OT Supporter

I can totally relate to this

15. Synner

Synner New Member

Oh dear God, why didn't I get to this 3 hours ago.

I caved tonight and resorted to doing something I haven't done in 9 months, and if I would've read this earlier, I wouldn't have done it. Everything in my head right now, it's all analyzing the past, hoping to find a way to fix what was broken and make it all better, to finally live the fairy tale...

If I hadn't read this, I'd still be ignorant to the problem, and I'll be honest, if I can't get out of this.....well, it wouldn't be a very pretty mess.

Should our paths ever cross, I'll have to remember to buy you a beer or something....you've at least changed my life, if not saved it. Honestly, thank you, you don't realize what you've done.

16. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Very good read :bowdown: I wish something like this could have been around when I needed it so many years ago, but at the time I didn't have internet access and OT wasn't born yet :o After some hard lessons learned on my own, I realized that holding onto the past prevents us from moving on to the future. Worrying takes us back n forth but gets us nowhere.

If no one minds, this is a link to an older thread re: motivation. The PDF in the link is a great read and I figured it could relate to sowing the seeds of tomorrow. It's a neat story but within the story shows you how to plan/achieve your goals, regardless of how big/small of a feat it is you want to accomplish.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2679335

17. NormanNormal

This is a pretty good read as well... That one really motivated the heck out of me. I'd say the article I posted in this threader is the starter to get you moving in the right direction away from the past and that PDF book is actually what takes you where you want to go.

18. NormanNormal

Wow reading some of the replies I'm really glad I posted this. Seems like it really helped some people. I guess its true the small seemingly insignifigant actions of others can have a huge effect on a lot of people.

Maybe fate is a real thing. I don't even know why I posted this here. I haven't really posted on OT in over a year. So why did I post this? I'm not exactly sure, the idea just came into my head and I figured why not. Strange indeed.

19. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Reading this thread doesnt make it any easier to drop the past though. I understand what its saying and I agree. But I still want to hold onto it and get things as close to the way they were.

I dont like where Im at in life now and I want to get things closer to the way they used to be. Doing so will most likely be devastating to my job security and I still want to do it.