SRS Insomnia

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coottie, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Gawd damnit...I can't sleep again and I have to be up early tomorrow. Jeez...anyone else suffer from this?? Any suggestions that don't include drugs/alcohol or other meds??

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Occasionaly. I work nights 6pm-6am. Sometimes I get into a rut where I can't get to sleep before 6am. I only work 3 nights a week, so the rut can be a bit annoying.

I have found that Benedryl Severe Allergy and Sinus tends to knock me out for precisely 4 hours. If I am in desperate need of sleep and I don't have 8 hours to sleep this is my only remedy that doesn't eff me up in the AM.

Be careful of sleeping pills. They are harmless if taken every now and again. But my personal take with them is that I need at least 8 hours of solid time to sleep after taking one. If I wake up before then life is a living hell. I find they take 8 to 10 hours to completly wear off. Sometimes I feel like I haven't slept at all after taking them.

Now, if you are in a rut of not sleeping and you have several days to play with, I have the nuclear method and the non-nuclear method.

The nuclear method is so named cause it aint pretty but it always works.
    Say I want to go to bed at 8pm but I can't get to sleep until 6am normally.
    Well, on Sunday I go to bed at 6am and sleep till 2pm. Then I stay up past 2pm the next day to as close to 8pm as I can get. That is potentially 32 hours of wake time.
    Not pretty but gets the job done.

The non-nuclear version is to merely stay up 3 extra hours each day till you are adjusted.
    So on day one I go to bed at 9am. Day 2 it is noon. Day 3 it is 3pm; etc.

The non-nuclear is easiest on your body.

I understand that some people can simply lay in bed and go to sleep. I have always bee unable to do this. My body is either ready to sleep or it isn't. If it isn't I will lay in bed for hours and staring at the ceiling.

3. MrInconsistant

MrInconsistant New Member

get some more excercise and chew some valerian root.

but seriously, excercise. run a couple miles and when your heart rate goes down you'll beg for sleep. also, try reading before you go to sleep, i find it helps me relax and get ready to sleep.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried going nuclear but I can't hang. I wasn't able to sleep at all last night and I've been catching like 30 mins at a time throughout the day. I feel like crap so time to eat and if I can make it to 10pm, then it's nappy time. I have a feeling I'll be sleeping all night tonight! :hsd: