GUN Input on a new gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Dec 27, 2006.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys, I have some extra cash and was thinking of adding another gun to the collection. I think I want to get a a rifle since I only have the AR15. Not sure what to get, but I'd like to get something with a scope and practice long range shooting. I have the AR15, a G19, SA 1911 and a Walther P22. What caliber would be on the cheap side to shoot, but works well at longer ranges? What are your recommendations guys?

Thanks

2. Fingerbang

Fingerbang What the fuck is the internet?

A friend of mine is in a rifle club and uses a 22-250 for competetion. I asked him the same question when I was looking into another rifle and long range shooting.

Edit: Never got one though :sad2: Maybe next year.

3. I don't think anything designed for real long range accuracy will be cheap to shoot, but I'd look for something readily available. I'm partial to the Remington 700 as far as rifles go, again, not cheap but if you're really into long range accuracy it's a good place to start. As for caliber I'd get a .308 Winchester. Again, this'll not be really cheap, but long range rifle accuracy isn't cheap.

4. ahead

ahead New Member

when you say long range, exactly how far are you wanting to reach?

5. I'd assume that he means 200+ yards. Up to that, his AR with a decent scope and good ammo would probably be ok. I'm not talking like 1 inch groups with the AR, but hitting the target.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

.308, particular rifle depends on what you consider long range.

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

10/22 :o

8. ahead

ahead New Member

reason why i ask is because he could probably get away with getting a match grade upper for his AR, or just build another one depending on how far he wants to reach.

.308 is pretty expensive comaired to .223, and since hed have two rifles shooting the same caliber it'll work out better for him, IMO.

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'm not looking super far. Mabye 150+ yds. since that is all the local range goes up to. I guess .223 or 22 would be the cheapest. I don't want to go the AR route, b/c I'd like to keep my ar w/ the red dot for shorter ranges since it's the 16" barrel. Are there any rifles that will take the .223 beside the AR that you guys can recommend?

10. ahead

ahead New Member

remington, ruger and savage all make nice bolt action rifles in .223. ill post up more if i think of anything else

me personally id build another AR. since you already have the mags and probably are pretty familiar with the system.

11. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

On that note, you wouldn't necessarily have to build another rifle. You could just get a different (longer barrelled) upper and scope.

12. ahead

ahead New Member

i mentioned that in an earlier post, hes not too fond of that idea. id rather have 2 seperate rifles also

13. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

My bad, I guess I missed that reply.

14. If you wanna stick with .223 I'd recommend the Ruger M77 MkII. My dad used to have one and it was great. [​IMG]

15. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

Savage 12FV is all you need to know. Cheaper than the Remington, more accurate out of the box. Accutrigger FTW.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

for the thousandth time, prove it. :hsugh:

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Are there all the tacticool accessories for the Savage?

18. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

there are places like http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ that specialize in Savages but they don't have the aftermarket that a 700 does (though few rifles do).

19. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

an SKS with a scope can get farly good groups at 300 yards. not to expensive. though you need to pick up a really good sks

20. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

even if it's not more accurate, although I believe it is, it's every bit as accurate. And for the price, I rock one. If you're out for the tacticool stuff, you'd want to steer clear, but I'm not down with that for this sort of rifle anyways. 99% of what is in this thread is opinion anyway. Just get what fits you and your wallet and have fun.

21. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Do most people recommend bolt action rifles at ranges of 250-350 yards?

22. chakup

chakup Guest

Savage 10fp or 12fv.

23. ahead

ahead New Member

doesnt have to be, but if he wants to stay with the .223, and not build another AR, bolt guns make up most of his other options that are accurate.

24. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

That's cool.

I am just in a similar situation. I just bought an RRA AR-15 DEA model. I'd love to have a longer ranged rifle... and figured it would need to be bolt action. I also like the .223 rounds myself.

I'm also not sure how far our outdoor range goes. If there isn't that long of a range I wouldn't really have many places to shoot it. :wtc:

25. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I'll check out the savage ruger and remington. I'm not looking to add anything to it aside from a good quality scope. As long as I can do that I'm happy.

On a side note, from what I was reading in another thread, 14x is all I should need for optics up to 400yds. Does this sound right?