Input before reformatting/cloning HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sffitzge, Jan 18, 2009.

1. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

So I finally have my WD 320 gb passport essential that I'm going to use to switch HD's with the one in my T60. I was planning on "reformatting" first (T60's don't come with restore cd's apparently they are partitioned onto the HD and you can reformat during startup) then dumping all the files and stuff back on my computer then using the passport essential to clone my HD and switch it with my laptops internal one. Here are my questions....

What spyware/virus protection/ect. do you guys suggest I should download after I reformat?

Does anyone have a particular prefrence for a free cloning program or should any of them work? (I was planning on using XXCLONE)

Has anyone on OT ever cloned their T60,61 ect. HD before? I am wondering where exactly my backup restore partition is located so I can be sure to clone it.

Oh, and kinda off topic... the fan in my T60 keeps turning on and sounding like shit.... do any of you have experience fixing your fan/common problems that I may be able to fix or am I going to have to shell out some money for a new fan if I can't take this humming anymore?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

None.

I used this recently with good results:
    http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

3. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

how about AFTER I switch HD's what spyware/virus protection should I download then?

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

avast seems like decent virus scan software. i haven't actually found a virus with it, but it seems minimally intrusive.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

None.

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i know you like stroking your ego to feel superior to your average computer user, but on a computer that's not being used by only computer elitists spyware/malware protection is pretty important; it may even be mandatory if you have to use software like cisco clean access agent to connect to a network.

i personally have AVG free installed with the resident shield disabled. it use to be okay but has gotten worse lately, imo. i'm not sure what the best solution is these days.