Initiation conversation at the gym...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Socrates, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

with a girl who wears headphones?

For the past couple of weeks, I have seen her at the gym at the same time on the same days I work out. (Not suggesting she goes when I go, but we workout at the same time.)

I always catch her looking at me, and she always catches me looking at her. We both have iPods and listen to music the whole time at the gym. A lot of times when we are near each at the ab benches or at the waterfountain, I take out my headphones just incase she does so I can talk to her.

What should I do OT?! I am considering just going up to her when she is taking a break and signalling her to take her headphones off and just saying "Hi! My name is Tyler, and i've been wanting to talk to you for a while now." or something along those lines.

Tips tips please.

edit : initiating* in topic

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Any person wearing headphones in the gym, DOES NOT want to be bothered.

3. Pringles

Pringles New Member

That was my thoughts, but some people do it to help them work out as I do...

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I do it for motivation but I still like talking to people...

I really doubt people wear headphones just so they won't be talked to, unless they look like Timberwolf and wouldn't be able to get through a workout without 10 people asking them how to get abs.

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

this is how i feel.

6. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

qft

And you should never hit on anyone in the gym :slap:

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Okay you difficult bastards. :o

Assuming she just wears her headphones to motivate her, and doesn't mind people talking to her, what would you do?

8. jdw

jdw New Member

ask her what she's listenin to.. tell her you need some new tracks....

9. lauren

lauren Active Member

she has to leave, or go to the lockerroom or somegthing. catch her when she is comming or going.

or, when shes switching from one thing to the next, do as stated and intruduce youself. make it quick, and dont chit chat. let her get back to work. "hey, i have seen you around a bunch, just thougt it was about time i introduced myself. "

10. islanderman7

islanderman7 New Member

just go up and bug her for a conversation and get it over with.

11. aaron33

aaron33 New Member

"Hi, Is your ipod one of those new ones that can play video? Mine's the Nano. I needed something light so that I could run on the treadmill. Do you come here everyday? I notice you here everytime I come to the gym"

12. Socrates

Socrates New Member

good idea. Mine is a Nano, too!

13. aaron33

aaron33 New Member

Do you come here everyday? I notice you here everytime I come to OT. :big grin:

14. j12p

j12p New Member

Just because she is wearing headphones does not mean she does not want to be bothered. I would go nuts listening to gym music my entire workout.

If the gym is busy when you are there together trying working your sets into the same equipment. Of course, this won't work if the gym is dead.

Initiating conversation on the type of music she is listening to is always a safe bet. Regardless, watch her body language. Once you start talking to her you are going to know in the first 10-15 sec if she wants to be "bothered."

Good Luck!

15. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Has she smiled or given you any other solid signals, such as tried to share a machine with you? Just like it has been mentioned to share equipment with her (which signals your interest in her) she would do the same. Open your eyes, pay attention, what is really going on. If she is not, don't do a cold approach.

I tend to agree with the others about her not wanting to meet anyone since she has her headphones on. If she had wanted to meet you, she would have taken them off to create an opportunity, come over, said hi, etc.

If *I* were you, next time I saw her I would just wave and smile as you walked by. Do that a few times and see if she responds with a wave back. If she does, after the second or third time then go over and say hi, take it from there.

16. moomoo3210

moomoo3210 Active Member

How about start gymming without your ipod or anything stuck in your ears.. but do everything exactly the same.. and hopefully see if she takes the hint you want to talk

17. Injected1

Injected1 New Member

Wait until she's resting between machines or something. She'll be less likely to be bothered by casual conversation at this point because it won't be interfereing with her concentration on her workout. Then go up to her and introduce yourself. Then make a comment about <insert something intriguing you observed about her> that would make a good conversation. Just make sure it's about something friendly and not something that could be taken as crude or has sexual implications. It could be something as simple as, do you ever go to <insert common hangout here>. It seems like I have seen you out somewhere before.. Then from there you could go into possible mutal friends or aquaintances.. And then if you haven't found a common place or common people, ask her what she like to do for fun around there.. Just make sure the conversation encompasses material that interests her so she will remember you and the conversation and from then on refer to you as someone she knows rather than some total stranger in the gym that said "hi". If you manage to entertain her in the converstation, you will have your foot in the door if she's single and you're somewhat attractive..

Keep in mind unless she's aggressive, you will probably have to initiate the conversation. If you keep waiting for her to, you may never get anywhere.. What's the worst that could happen..?

18. Heir_Of_Isildur

Heir_Of_Isildur New Member

That's some solid advie IMHO. Step up the signalling and if that fails, then too bad. If she responds well, go for it.

But maybe that's just for slow pokes (like me), lots of my buddies would have gone and spoken to her first time they saw a smile!

19. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

This is something that many people, espcially guys don't do.

Shower, put on fresh clothes before u go to the gym to work out.

yeah, i know. sounds stupid since u'll do that after the work out.

but women have a BETTER sense of smell, esp. during ovulation, than men.

as a matter of fact, there are scent that women can pick up on guys that guys can't even tell on their own.

Women tend to let their nose guide them to their mate.

guys, their eyes.

by cleaning up prior to working out, it gives u a major advantage over the other stinky guys that are checking her out.

20. Italianoman

Italianoman New Member

^agreed. Put on some light cologne before every workout (don't go heavy, or it'll irritate her) and workout near her as usual. Eventually, she will subconciously associate that smell with you and possibly something she's doing or striving for, such as goals and such (really, anything she's doing while she smells you). Anyways, use your smell to your advantage and keep us up to date man!

21. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Alright I did it. She was leaving, and she stopped by the water fountain...I was on the treadmill running and I was thinking "Well, she doesn't want me to come up to her all sweaty and stuff. I'll just catch her next time. Fuck. I'm making excuses. Just go, now." so I did. I was about to say something, then she started talking to an elderly man who I guess she sees there a lot.

Finally, she is next in line to the water fountain, and I say "You come here quite a bit, don't you?" and she just says "Yes I do." to which I replied "That's good, not many girls around here stay as dedicated as you seem to." so she says "Yeah I noticed that." ---- then she got a drink and left. That was it.

I broke the ice OT :noes:

I haven't told her, but i'm making our wedding plans for next week.

22. Solus Emsu

Solus Emsu ****** U N R A T E D ! ****** -----THAT'S HOW I RO

:rofl:

Wedding plans huh?

:rofl:

Ah, the classic girl at the gym with headphones on.
    She's fit. She knows it. She is dedicated.
    What man wouldn't want that kind of woman.

I dunno if I would have broke the ice the way you did, but meh, nonetheless you did.

These are by far the hardest women to pick up. By far.

This is where the NICE GUY routine actually works the best. I don't say that often, but if you are going to have a chance with this woman, this is the best shot. Women will usually go half and half at the gym. Some women go to get a guy with rippling muscles. Some go to work out and are tired of getting hit on by jerkoffs with rippling muscles.
    If you have a shot over muscle-bound meatheads (unless you are the biggest meathead out of the bunch), you are going to have to have what the juice didn't do to you that it did to the other grunt-hards.
    And that is actually be nice and listen to what they have to say and shit.
    So be confident still, just be the nice guy.

By the way. Try not to compare her to other women anymore.
    Especially at the gym. Try not to imply that women don't work out or aren't dedicated. It might come off as sexist.

GOOD LUCK!!! Keep it up. The only way you can win is if you try. :bigthumb:

EDIT: OH! And if she turns out to be lesbian or taken already, then don't bother. The chance of her breaking either of those things for you are slim to "hell no".

23. quamen

quamen New Member

im in the same situation as well with a girl at the gym. She always seems to be looking my way,but i feel very odd approaching her. SAy i do and it goes south,ill always have to see her there feeling like a dumbass that got rejected

24. stratfiend

stratfiend New Member

yeah, she is definitely not interested, you came off as stalker/creepy with the "i've been watching you" line, she's seen you before, should have just gone with the introduction and kept it going, instead of letting it die. i would have made some goofy face at her or did something funny to get her attention with the headphones on, then struck up a conversation

25. aaron33

aaron33 New Member

The ice is broken! The next step is to just say hi next time you see her, and then get along to your routine. No need to chat her up or make small talk. Soon enough, she'll start talking to you as you turn from creepy stalker to normal polite gym dude.