GUN Inherited a S&W .38 Special. Couple questions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WiKiD, Jul 20, 2006.

1. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

First of all i need to get this thing home. From what i read i need to ship the gun through a FFL to another FFL in order to get it from tennessee to texas. That right? Second i was wondering if anyone can help me figure out the manufacture date or a ballpark figure on how old this gun is. My mother says it is older than me so it is at least 21 years old. She is not sure though since my grandfather most likely won it at a chicken fight(i found the gun loaded with hollow points, the 38 he gave to my aunt was loaded with one regular round which he told her to shoot through the door and the rest were dum dums. He also told her to hide it if she ever had to use it :rofl:). The left side of the barrel says "Smith & Wesson" the right says "38 S.& W. Special CTG". The SN on the bottom of the grip is S 85014 which is also visible on the frame in the channel where the extractor fits.. The grip is wood (i think) with a diamond pattern with a single screw going through the middle with a large diamond around it. The bottom of the grip is square. Sorry for the huge description and no pics. I didnt bring my camera to my grandma's house. Put 18 rounds through it and it worked flawlessly. didnt have any ear protection though, left me ringing till next morning.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If you're there with the gun then just take it home in your car. If you're flying then as long as you've got it in a proper container you can take it with you in your luggage. Just don't bring it with your carry on stuff (duh). Call the airline and find out what their policies are about storing guns while you're traveling. Go to www.packing.org to find out the laws for transporting a firearm in your car are for each state that you'll be passing through if you're driving.

3. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

We are flying so i guess i can take them home with me. What about long guns? My dad has a 1938 Winchester single shot 12 guage he has been meaning to get home for a while. I got hard cases for both of them today, is that all i need to check them at the airport?

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

You can also ship it/them to yourself.